Adding ram to a macbook

Reaction score
Well I want to add 1GB of ram to my macbook ( to make it a total of 2gb). I was wondering if I have to buy two gigs and take out the current ram in the macbook. Or can I just add one more GB of ram even though it will be a different type of ram, I heard the sames types of ram work bes with each other. Is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yh you should use the same kind of ram, so don't use ram from different companies and different sizes.

Here is a video on how to install memory in a Macbook: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Zjzv-mJxFY

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Well I want to add 1GB of ram to my macbook ( to make it a total of 2gb). I was wondering if I have to buy two gigs and take out the current ram in the macbook. Or can I just add one more GB of ram even though it will be a different type of ram, I heard the sames types of ram work bes with each other. Is this true?

You can use different types, however it's not recommended for maximum performance.

However, you will need to buy 2 x 1gb sticks of RAM. You currently have 2 x 512 sticks installed, so both will need to be removed to get to 2gb. The other option is buying a 1gb and just upgrading to 1.5gb, however this is also not recommended for reasons unknown to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
I have a macbook pro with 2 GB (1 X 2 modules). I would like to upgrade to 4 GB, but want to start by first upgrading it to 3 GB. Can I replace one of the 1 GB module with a 2 GB module to make a total of 3 GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have a macbook pro with 2 GB (1 X 2 modules). I would like to upgrade to 4 GB, but want to start by first upgrading it to 3 GB. Can I replace one of the 1 GB module with a 2 GB module to make a total of 3 GB?

Yep.... no problem doing that. You won't get the benefit of running "dual channel", but the extra gb of RAM will out way that anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have decided that if I can get 4 GB for less than $180 then I am going to go for it!

Is there a video with instructions on how I can add the new memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just added 2 X 2 GB but only 2 GM shows up. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I want to upgrade my iBook's RAM so I can get Leopard (still running 10.3.9, yeah I know). Anyone have suggestions on how much/ where I should get it? Thanks in advance

ibook g4, 12 inch, 1.2 Ghz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.