playing record player through macbook input line

Reaction score
I have gone out and bought a converter lead for my turntable so that i can plug it in through my macbook pro's input jack as my comptuer speakers are the most decent ones i own. but im just wondering how i can do this... i have it plugged into my macbook but i cant find any options to make the sound come through the speakers. Is there any programs or any settings i can change. I also wouldnt mind some EQ controls aswell. thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
EEEk. Where are you running the ground wire??? Just plugging the 'red and white' rca cables in isnt enough unless you have a turntable which grounds through the AC jack(Numark makes them). You could use something like Logic or Protools with plugins to give you an EQ but these are pricey.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Does the turntable have an amplifier or not?
I am able to hook my turntable just fine to my Mac. It's new so it's got a built in amplifier and has the RCA output cables. I purchased a Y adapter that converts the RCA to the 1/8" mini plug for the Mac.
I don't remember how I did it but it should be able to play automatically through line in or through iTunes.

Reaction score
What Turntable do you have?

Most of the time a simple adapter just wont cut it. You need a phono pre amp or mixer to do this PROPERLY.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.