Starting Over

Reaction score
Hey, this is a question one of my teachers asked me and I wasn't sure.

He says he wants to start over on everything and basically just reinstall Tiger and all the programs using the 2 disks that come with the iMac. He says that he has reinstalled Tiger 4 times in one day and he still has all his old files. By reinstalling it that much in a day, will it screw up his iMac or slot drive in any way? And how do you delete all your files to start fresh?

Also, I heard it's better to buy seperate speakers instead of using the ones built in to the iMacs because they aren't meant to use for music and constant sound. Is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
I can't comment about the Tiger installation issue, but there should be no harm in using the iMac's internal speakers. You'll probably get much better sound quality from a pair of external speakers, though.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you, does anyone know if installing Tiger 4 times in a day will have harmed the iMac or the slot drive in any way?

Reaction score
Nah, it won't screw it up. He kept doing Archive & Install's. Thats why his old files kept showing up. Tell him to format his drive in Disk Utility before installing (thats if he wants to start over completely "fresh").

Speakers: No issues with listening to music with. With external speakers, you can expand the listening pleasure by going with 5.1 surround sound. It's all personal preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Nah, it won't screw it up. He kept doing Archive & Install's. Thats why his old files kept showing up. Tell him to format his drive in Disk Utility before installing (thats if he wants to start over completely "fresh").

I don't think that's necessary.

When you put in your Install Disks it should give you an option to reinstall without archiving any files.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and sorry one last thing; regarding the whole installing leopard thing 4 times in a single day..That won't mess up how Tiger or any of the programs run either, right? Sorry if I'm sounding repetitive, guy just wants to know if everything will be fine with his computer.

Oh and I also wanted to know if it's normal that when I open larger applications like Garageband or iMovie that the iMac makes this whirring/buzzing sound until it's finished opening/loading?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.