how to change owner information

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new with Mac... just got a Mac book 13 inch a few days ago and the vendor handed it to me with my name mispelled on the "Computer name". And everything associated with it is now mispelled (e.g. home, accounts, etc). I was able to change the account name however the "home" label/name remains the same.. the vendor also placed a "short name" on the accounts section that is likewise mispelled and could not be altered..

'appreciate any tip/help.. thanks in advance.. :)

Reaction score
Have a look in the Address Book.app, maybe you can find your details their ... as far as your Account Name, go to:

System Preferences ~> Accounts

Then click on your account in the left column and begin to type in the new name or the correction to your name ...

You should see a dialogue window that appears asking you to enter the Admin Password (or maybe you won't) ... then you can continue to repair the typo ..

As far as the Short Name goes .... it's a little bit trickier with making changes to the Short Name ...

Change Short Name

When the page loads, look in the left column and select Change Short Name and you'll be redirected to the proper download page.

Make sure you have a current back-up of your stuff before changing anything ...

Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;508673 said:
Have a look in the Address Book.app, maybe you can find your details their ... as far as your Account Name, go to:

System Preferences ~> Accounts

Then click on your account in the left column and begin to type in the new name or the correction to your name ...

You should see a dialogue window that appears asking you to enter the Admin Password (or maybe you won't) ... then you can continue to repair the typo ..

As far as the Short Name goes .... it's a little bit trickier with making changes to the Short Name ...

Change Short Name

When the page loads, look in the left column and select Change Short Name and you'll be redirected to the proper download page.

Make sure you have a current back-up of your stuff before changing anything ...

Warning***

If you change any of the above, you will have to set all of your account settings and other settings. All of my photos were no longer in iPhoto and all my music was gone as well though I just had to move folders for that.

Does anyone know how I can get my photos back into iPhoto?

I can't change my username back to what it was before. I don't recommend changing the name!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.