Getting a new notebook

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My 12" powerbook just died on me after 3 years of faithful service through its harsh treatment in high school. I'm going to college next year, and its time to get a new Apple notebook.

My first thought was 17" MacBook Pro, with 2GB Ram and 2.4GHz processor. I'm coming on the forums to ask you guys what you think I should do. Is a 17" too big for college? I suffered for 4 years looking at this tiny little 12" screen, and I would love something big now. Plus with Leopard coming out, I want the best of the best. I don't want to regret anything!

I'm planning on buying it lightly used from craigslist or ebay (I bought my powerbook off ebay.) Is this something I should buy from Apple, though? I really need the $600 difference between craigslist/ebay and Apple stores. Obviously I wouldn't get one that is not running in mint condition. And of course, it will have AppleCare.

What do you think? I also like the idea of a glossy screen, but what are your experiences with it? What are the pros/cons of glossy vs. plasma? And is the hi-res/not hi-res difference noticeable?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Also, is now a good time to buy or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro...2.4GHZ intel, 2GB Ram
I would go check out the 15" model.....I really liked the idea of a 17", but the more I thought about carrying that massive mofo around town, the 15" just made more sense. Same specs, smaller screen...The Glossy screen is really nice as well...I got the one I am typing on for about $2500 with Applecare, student discount applied. I would go new for a purchase like this, but to each their own........I love the hi-res screen as well...

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I went from a 13" Macbook to a 15" MBP and it was a pretty big change. 17" would just be too much IMO, especially if you're going to have to travel with it nearly everyday.

Glossy screen vs. Matte screen is personal choice, head to any store that carries laptops and check them out. The Matte screen gives you truer colors, but the glossy screen is just so beautiful.

Reaction score
I love my glossy screen, though it is a personal preference. I say if you are going to invest the money into the machine and keep it for a while, go for what you will not regret, and if you think you will eventually want the 17", then go for it now. My 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
depends how you're going to use it. if you're going to be lugging it around all day at school, i say go with the 15 inch. the 17 inch is really cool.. but i would only go for a 17 inch notebook if i were to be using it as a desktop replacement. question though, have you ever considered the macbook? if money is tight, the macbook would do just the job. esp. with the higher end one. (and it's black, too!) just a thought. good luck!

Reaction score
Will Mac have new laptops @ end of October, or 'just' Leopard software. I will be in US that weekend, and wanted to buy there since Cdn prices are so out of whach.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
No one ever knows when Apple will be releasing new hardware until it's already been released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i got the 17 in in june right before i left for college and i have no regrets what so ever. i have the incase backpack and its not a hassle to carry it from class at all. go big or go home :)

Reaction score
I have a macbook, they glossy is so bright and brilliant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
Consider that the glossy screen will show reflections from windows, lights, etc. This might be a significant issue when using it in a classroom. I have read that the reflection from the glossy screen can be a problem. I have the matte finish and am very happy with it. The 17" is pretty big and this might be a problem if you have to balance the computer on your knees. For a college environment, I would suggest the 15" then upgrade upon graduation.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies everyone.

I understand that the 17" may pose size problems, but I will probably be using it as more of a desktop than a portable laptop. And I will be at a liberal arts college, so classrooms won't be crowded and I shouldn't be worried about its size posing a problem to anyone.

This is the computer I am purchasing, from craigslist (I know that may make you guys cringe... there is a 14 day return policy though so don't think for a second that I won't scrutinize every aspect of it before keeping it. If you guys can, could you tell me what specifically I can look for to make sure it's a good buy when I receive the computer?)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/451877764.html

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro...2.4GHZ intel, 2GB Ram
Hey thanks for the replies everyone.

I understand that the 17" may pose size problems, but I will probably be using it as more of a desktop than a portable laptop. And I will be at a liberal arts college, so classrooms won't be crowded and I shouldn't be worried about its size posing a problem to anyone.

This is the computer I am purchasing, from craigslist (I know that may make you guys cringe... there is a 14 day return policy though so don't think for a second that I won't scrutinize every aspect of it before keeping it. If you guys can, could you tell me what specifically I can look for to make sure it's a good buy when I receive the computer?)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/451877764.html

Thanks!!!

Hey man, it's your money. If you are picking that up in person, I would be all about it.....On the other hand, if you are planning to have that shipped to you, I would be a little weary about it, but I am just that way with Craig's List....

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the older Core Duo MBP's will support 4gigs of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core2Duo 2.2Ghz 250GB HDD 1.0GB [ON ORDER] ; iPhone 8GB
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the older Core Duo MBP's will support 4gigs of RAM.

You are correct. The MBP he listed already is maxed out at 2GB (the listing even says it.....)

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
The logicboard cannot handle that much RAM.

I'm sure there's a really detailed, technical-jargon filled explanation somewhere on this site. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.