applecare no more, hard drive crash

Reaction score
I have a PowerPC G4 1.5ghz 15 inch powerbook. I need to get a new hard drive, and was wondering if there is a limitation to the amount of space I can get for an internal hard drive. I was looking at the Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160GB 2.5". Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro...2.4GHZ intel, 2GB Ram
If I remember correctly, you can go to/over 200GB....I have a friend who just replaced the drive in her 12" G4.....She went 120 because she just bought a new MBP and is using that for a backup now...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Any 2.5" IDE (ATA) Laptop drive will work. Just don't get a SATA as the Powerbooks are IDE.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the information. i'll probably search newegg for a deal. Looks like replacing the OS is going to be a pain too, considering the recovery disk is MIA. My brother just got an iBook last week though, so I'll be happy to steal his $10 upgrade to Leopard. Thanks again!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Leopard you buy in the store and online is a Universal Installer. It will install on both PPC and Intel, but be it known, using your brothers Leopard is against the EULA even if it's a Family Pack unless you are living in the same household or off at school and it's a Family owned copy.

Where is your Install DVD that came with the Powerbook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.