Mac Networking

M

maxx

Hi everyone,

I'm almost completely new to the world of Apple Mac and am interested in networking two computers. Specifically, I have Powermac in one room, connected to the Internet with a broadband ADSL modem and an emac in another room without Internet. I want to network the two so that I can get Internet on my emac.

I believe that there are three main ways of networking the two machines: ethernet cable, router and airport.

I don't have much in the way of money so I'm tempted to go for the cheap option and use an ethernet cable.

I could use some friendly advice about networking in this way. Does it work without hitch? What are the problems associated with ethernet networking?

Any advice or help to this new Mac User would be veeeeeeeeery much appreciated.

OP
I

iBert

If you go for ethernet cables, I don't think you should have much problems. From my experience it should be pretty much plug and surf. If you still like the idea of a cheap wirless solution, you can go for a wirless router that is G compliant. They should be around $80 or so. If you run into problems I think it should be because of the system preferences in the network pane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, just plug them in and it should work. And then setup Internet sharing the Sharing preference in System Preferences. It should be really easy...

OP
M

maxx

schweb said:
Yes, just plug them in and it should work. And then setup Internet sharing the Sharing preference in System Preferences. It should be really easy...

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll try first with an ethernet cable since that seems to be the easiest and cheapest way of doing things.

Will post again to let you know how it goes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.