G5 2.0GHZ Dual - Slouchy performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 Powermac 2.0GHZ
Our PM G5 2.0 is getting slow - I get a lot of spinning beach balls or it's just sluggish. After a restart it seems fine then after a while it slows up again.

I thought it might have something to do with the Ram ( 2GB over 4 x 512 MB modules installed) - so have been taking out pairs to see if it made any difference. Apple Hardware test (AHT)showned an issue with the Ram (Error Code post/0/2048 Dimm/ J6700) but I think it was because I have left three modules in during the test. Anyway I ordered some replacement modules anyway- 2 x 1GB ones from Crutial. Installed those and same old thing.

AHT is saying everything else seems fine.

I have fixed permissions using Disk Utility.

What else could it be? Has anyone got any ide? Running 10.4.10

Also- assuming that the old memory is in fact ok...... the new memory is 5200 speed old memory was 4200 - assuming that the memory is installed in matching pairs can I put all the modules back in with no issue on performance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What's the deal in Activity Monitor?

Have you run all the cache cleaning tools in Onyx?

Have you got a lot of activated fonts?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 Powermac 2.0GHZ
What am I looking out for in activity monitor? Lots of programmes working in the background?

Have downloaded Onyx and will run tools-

There are a fair few fonts - but nothing added from base - we could turn a few off I suppose but I don't think this is an issue.

The problem comes and goes.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.