Cd drive won't take cd's. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I've had my macbook for just over a year now (found that out when I went to take this thing in and was informed my apple care was dead). Whenever I stick a cd in it will either spit it right back out immediately without even trying to read it, or it will accept it for a minute and start to spin it, then it will make a sound that sounds like it hit something while spinning and it will spit the cd out. Sometimes if I try over and over to stick it in it will take it, but mostly my cd drive is now useless.

Anyone have any advice or ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Yeah definitely sounds like your drive is dead. Did Apple tell you how much it would be to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle - Blue : 512 MB Macbook Pro named Clayton
So you're saying you never bought the extended Apple Care? Oh that sucks, Apple Care pays itself off over the 3 years you have it.

There is really nothing you can do but get it replaced. Sounds like the drive is broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Back when I was your age, we didn't have any article 88275. We had to load our punch cards in the hopper, and hope like heck they didn't jam up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hmm...distressing that I have to get a new drive. Does anyone know where I can snag a cheap one? I also forgot to mention another little oddity: whenever I move my computer while it's on or tilt it or anything the drive will eject, even if there's nothing in there. What would cause that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.