Wanting To Get A Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80gb, iMac Coming!!
Hi, I just purchased a new dell system last month with a amd dual core processor 2.31ghz 250gb 1gb ram system and I am trying to sell it now and purchase a mac. This dell is so poor, vista isn't as good as people make it seem, and the system just makes a grinding noise and freezes all the time and I have done diagnostic tests over the phone with dell and everything checks out for the hardware being fine. So I am certain it's just the crappy operating system. I was looking at apple and seen the iMac I can afford for almost 1300 after tax. It is the iMac 20-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I am wanting to know from all you mac users if this system is a high quality trusty and quiet operating system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
The iMac is definitely a nice machine. It's very quiet and everything just works. However, you need to realize that OS X isn't Windows. Are you ready to try and make the switch? Have you figured out if you absolutely need any Windows programs and if they have a Mac equivalent? More often than not you'll be fine, but some people just jump right in without thinking about these things.

Either way, enjoy your new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Great choice Clover...remember this one thing...Don't get frustrated or discouraged when you first switch over...apple seemed totally backwards to me and looked a bit dull compared to Windows....don't let all the Windows glitz fool you..the lack of viruses is well worth the trade. My 700mhz Imac runs just as well & even better than my brand new vista lap top...and now I am the proud parent of 5 macs...still have 4 windows around but they are collecting dust...

Once you get the hang of a mac you will be in love...took me a couple months and now I am hooked for life...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you for the replies. To carmstrong, what I mostly use is itunes, not a problem switching, internet browsing, winzip, and outlook for email, outlook, utorrent and winzip work with mac right or no? If not are there versions like it for mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
FWIW, the grinding noise is almost certainly hard disk access, which suggests you don't have enough RAM. The system is working hard paging stuff in and out of RAM to the hard disk.

Not that I'd say don't get a Mac, but for $50 you can pick up another GB of RAM. That might be as good a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
1GB for Vista is definitely not recommended in my limited experience with it. I wouldn't run Vista with less than 2GB.

But I sure do love my MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo Blackbook. 2GB Ram 80GB HD
thank you for the replies. To carmstrong, what I mostly use is itunes, not a problem switching, internet browsing, winzip, and outlook for email, outlook, utorrent and winzip work with mac right or no? If not are there versions like it for mac?

You should be fine. For an outlook program you can just use Mail. Works the same way imo. There are also nice programs that handle torrents and for winzip, winrar, you can use stuffit which is able to extract it all.

You'll find in time that you are a lot more productive with a mac and you dont spend most of your nights defragmenting, scandisk, erasing files, running antivirus, running antispyware, etc...

I think you'll be fine making the switch....

Good luck,
Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for all the comments, I'm just trying to sell this dell that i bought last month, big mistake, and save up and buy an imac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.