Looking to buy a MacBook Pro... Question

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Macbook Pro. I'm a student and no matter how I look at it, it's financially beneficial to buy one from a private party. I found a deal that seems almost too good to be true (which concerns me to begin with).

THe person claims that it's a 15" macbook pro with 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 160 gb HD @ 7200 rpm, 4 GB RAM etc etc...

My concern is that they claim the macbook is unopened and unused. However I noticed that it was listed as haveing ilife 06'. Does this seems skeptical? WHen did apple stop packaging 06' with the macbook pros? I would think an unopened macbook pro would have ilife 08' at this point???? THanks guys

Reaction score
iLife 06 is impossible with a laptop with 4GB of RAM at this point, as the only time iLife 06 ever came with a Macbook Pro is way back when they first came out, and they only supported 2GB then. the 4GB limit was very recently added.

My advice is to stay away, unless you can do a deal in person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
my sentiments exactly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
The MBP was last updated in June I believe. iLife 08 came out in August. So if the MBP was purchased between those dates, then it would still have iLife 06. But it would be unlikely that a MBP was purchased at those times and never opened.

As the saying goes...if it's too good to be true it likely is!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think you're being a little cautious. It could be from July and unopened, or it could be a typo. Maybe the seller typed 06 instead of 08?

Why not just ask what the situation is. Is it through ebay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
I agree, do not go for it unless you're going to make the deal in person.
There's a website called gumtree here in the UK and one of my friends fell for something very close to what u described. the item was listed as local but after speaking to the seller on the phone he claimed that he's in another city.
Unfortunately my friend was so excited about the price the seller was offering that he blindly trusted him and transfered the funds to sellers bank account but the item never showed up! he ended up losing about £900 and he's still chasing the guy!
This sounds like the worst case scenario but I just wanted to warn you as I don't want the same to happen to anyone else .

All the best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" 2.4 MBP with 4GB RAM
iLife 06 is impossible with a laptop with 4GB of RAM at this point, as the only time iLife 06 ever came with a Macbook Pro is way back when they first came out, and they only supported 2GB then. the 4GB limit was very recently added.

That's not entirely true: I work at Best Buy and we had some of the new MBPs when iL 08 came out and an apple rep had to come by and install it on all the apples in our stock

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.