trouble with installing the printer driver

Reaction score
Hi
I am trying to install Brother laser printer driver. I downloaded it from the net, inastalled it but I don't see it while I try to print. How can I fix it?
I know OSX have some drivers, where should I look for it?
Thanx for any response...:)

Reaction score
/Applications/Utilities/Printer Setup Utility
Run that and see if it shows up. If it does, set as default.
If not, contact Brother. (or try reinstalling)

OP
I
Reaction score
It does not show in the Printer setup utilities. I don't see it at all. My other printer shows, but not this one. How can I set it as default?
I don't even have the list of the drivers that OSX should provide.
How do I check the TCP/IP of my printer (since it is on the network).
Thanx

Reaction score
Look in /Library/Printers or ~/Library/Printers and see if it's there. If it is, you might have a network problem, cant help you there. If it's not, it probably didn't get installed.

OP
I
Reaction score
thanx for the help...

I doesn't seem to work. How do I find TCP/IP Control Panel?
How do I check if anything is beeing printed. Not sure how to access the printing activities window.

and while I'm at it,

the question not related to the subject. I am trying to use "find" software on my OSX system. Whatever I type (ex: print, or brother, or pretty much anything) it shows me 0 items found. Why?
Sherlock seems to do different function, compared to OS9-right?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am moving up from OS9, and everything is new to me here.

Maybe I should add that The printer is on the network with my PC. It's Brother Laser printer. I can print from the PC, but can't from my MAC.
I tried to locate the drivers that apparantly should be on MAC, but have nothing.

Reaction score
idea3 said:
thanx for the help...

I doesn't seem to work. How do I find TCP/IP Control Panel?
How do I check if anything is beeing printed. Not sure how to access the printing activities window.

If the printer drivers were installed, they will be in /Library/Printers or ~/Library/Printers. ~ is your home folder.

There should be a folder there named Brother. As far as being networked with a PC, someone else needs to step in, this is over my head.

and while I'm at it,

the question not related to the subject. I am trying to use "find" software on my OSX system. Whatever I type (ex: print, or brother, or pretty much anything) it shows me 0 items found. Why?
Sherlock seems to do different function, compared to OS9-right?

Yes, Sherlock is now for the internet. Click on the desktop and hit cmd-f for the find window. Try something simple to see if it works...do a search for a known file. If it still says 0 items found, something is wrong. Also, make sure your system drive is checked in the window.

I'm still thinking the drivers weren't installed. Were there any errors when you installed them?

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanx Cradom...
No the drivers are not installed. Weird, it dosn't show me any error. It even says "the instalation was successful". Go figure...:)
With using the Find command, I tried it to locate Brother, but it shows me nothing. Thus my question, what's up with it? Is it working?
I looked for so many obvious files like: Canon, Adobe. These folder exist on my harddrive. It shows 0 items found. It can find a word cache, for ex. So it seems to work somehow. Very frastruating.

You said: "Also, make sure your system drive is checked in the window."
Where is that?
I tried; Search in: Everywhere & local disks

Cheers,

Reaction score
idea3 said:
Thanx Cradom...
No the drivers are not installed. Weird, it dosn't show me any error. It even says "the instalation was successful". Go figure...:)
With using the Find command, I tried it to locate Brother, but it shows me nothing. Thus my question, what's up with it? Is it working?
I looked for so many obvious files like: Canon, Adobe. These folder exist on my harddrive. It shows 0 items found. It can find a word cache, for ex. So it seems to work somehow. Very frastruating.

You said: "Also, make sure your system drive is checked in the window."
Where is that?
I tried; Search in: Everywhere & local disks

Cheers,

Odd, i just did a find for adobe and got 180 results. Try "search in specific places". The window will show you your hard drive/s. Make sure your main/system drive is checked.

Dont know why the drivers didn't install. You are an admin right? Maybe retry or try a different driver. Also, when you installed panther, did you install CUPS or the extra printer drivers?

OP
I
Reaction score
OK, I got (help problem). I played with different options. Opened all the options in + sign. Finally got the right one. So many changes from OS9.

Anyway, thanx a lot for the help.

As for the drivers I will have to sleep on it.

M

meijibungaku

I, too, am having problems with Brother driver

G4 OSX 10.3.5. My Brother printer (HL-1440 USB) worked two days ago, then stopped working. I installed new drivers from Brother ("HL/MFL Pro" and newer "CUPS.gz"). When I try to 'add printer' using Printer Setup Utility, the printer comes up fine (because it is attached and on) and the two software options come up fine (in the 'Printer Model' box). But when I click 'add' (for either software) I get "An error occurred while trying to add the selected printers. server-error-service-unavailable." Any suggestions? Is there any conceivable connection between this and the Java auto upgrade I did yesterday? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Was your 10.3.5 from the recent update? If so did you repair permissions after the update? It can never hurt.

M

meijibungaku

Permissions repaired, still no response.

(re 10.3.5, Brother HL1440) I did repair the permissions (only three or four seemed to need it), but I still get 'error' when I try to add the printer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.