• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Mac Pros coming soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
AppleInsider: Apple to fire up Penryn based Mac Pros

Exciting news for me, since I may be buying a Mac Pro next month (although I'm still on the fence about whether I want the 24" iMac or a base model Mac Pro). Depending on how this turns out, it might make my decision easier.

Think they'll update the case while they're at it? I don't mind the cheese grater look, and based on the photo posted, it looks like they're sticking with it for now. But then, the photo looks merely like a stock Mac Pro interior with the two Penryn logos photoshopped in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I hope they release quad-processor Mac Pros. A man needs 16 cores :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I guess they will come up with an 8 Core thing, that is, how the current Kensfield has two C2D's slapped on it... two penryn's on one chip would work out quite well...

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope they release quad-processor Mac Pros. A man needs 16 cores :D

Heh... I know some people who do professional 3D renderings and animations for architectural projects who could use that sort of processing power. What some of them have ended up doing is buying a dozen or so Mac Minis and setting them up as a rendering farm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Exciting news for me, since I may be buying a Mac Pro next month (although I'm still on the fence about whether I want the 24" iMac or a base model Mac Pro). Depending on how this turns out, it might make my decision easier.

I guess it's screen size V's mass power lol.

I've alway's been a bit of a size queen myself lol.

I'm heading fora 24" next month..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen size? Dude! You can run eight 30" displays on a Mac Pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, but I always get confused with the laptop being in front of the screen..

Everytime i have done so it just does my head in.. lol.

Thats a given then yes I could just buy a wireless heyboard and mouse and be done with it.. but I guess I never really looked at it like that lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen size? Dude! You can run eight 30" displays on a Mac Pro!

Am I reading correctly? 8 30" cinema displays..??

Or was that ment to read 'a' 30" cinema display..?

*confused*

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Eight.

VIII.

I'd be very happy with just one 30" display, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*even more confused*

I'd be happy with a 20" cinema display!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Think they'll update the case while they're at it? I don't mind the cheese grater look, and based on the photo posted, it looks like they're sticking with it for now. But then, the photo looks merely like a stock Mac Pro interior with the two Penryn logos photoshopped in.

I think they'll do something with the aluminum and glossy black. Everything else that's been updated has, and it looks like the MBP will be too.

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*even more confused*

I'd be happy with a 20" cinema display!

Running eight 30" displays would require four graphics cards that each support two dual-link DVI ports. It's possible on the Mac Pro, and I suppose it would be useful for somebody doing some hardcore video production work, advanced medical/scientific visualization, or some sort of financial trading stuff. However, such would be an obscenely expensive overkill for most everyday users.

As for myself, I do architectural design which includes CAD drafting, 3D architectural renderings, and some graphic design. Two 23" displays or one 30" display would be more than enough for my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Running eight 30" displays would require four graphics cards that each support two dual-link DVI ports. It's possible on the Mac Pro, and I suppose it would be useful for somebody doing some hardcore video production work, advanced medical/scientific visualization, or some sort of financial trading stuff. However, such would be an obscenely expensive overkill for most everyday users.

As for myself, I do architectural design which includes CAD drafting, 3D architectural renderings, and some graphic design. Two 23" displays or one 30" display would be more than enough for my needs.
If I was insanely rich with unlimited income it is an overkill I would indulge myself in none-the-less and network it with a house full of 17 inch Macs and also a 17 inch MBP. As well as the usual stuff as well (dream car, dream house, awesome camera equiptment for me). Seriously, could you imagine 8 30 inch cinema displays (actually, the 30 inch would have a quanity of 4 as I think ONE requires a whole dual link DVI output, the 23 inch can be in a numerical amount of 8 though) and blazing fast speed from 16GB RAM and these new 8 Core Pyron beasts? If you had unlimited funds don't say you would'nt do the same.

EDIT:Ah it can be in each port, but only on 2 graphics card models, even if other cards have dual link. This is off of Apple's website:

"Dual-Link DVI

The 30-inch Cinema HD Display, with its massive load of pixels, requires a graphics cards with dual-link DVI connectivity. No problem. No matter which graphics card you choose for the new Mac Pro, you’ll be able to connect two Apple Cinema Displays, including at least one 30-inch model. And with either the ATI Radeon X1900 XT or the workstation-class NVIDIA Quadro FX4500, you can connect one 30-inch display to each of their dual-link DVI ports."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would you want a 30" + a 23".. lol you would look a bit poor I'd settle for a single 30" or 2 23" :):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, a 30" display would serve as the main workspace, while you can hang in the smaller junk, web pages, palettes and such on the 23". That's the way it always works...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm very happy with my 20" cinema here at the office :)

As for 16 cores...I don't wanna melt my lap. I like my lower extremities to work...that thing would have to run hella hot yes?

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You carry a Mac Pro on your lap? I'd put mine under the desk. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Seems like there are too many obstacles right now with any of those new processors.
I am very happy with my Quad. Unless someone really needs 8 30" monitors or 64GB of RAM, i could see Apple going another 6 months to a year before another update. They are a year old or more and the technology is still so far advanced at least compared to any other Mac. I haven't done a lot of PC research to see if i could build a system superior to a quad or 8 core and stay in the same price range.

Reaction score
Why would you want a 30" + a 23".. lol you would look a bit poor I'd settle for a single 30" or 2 23" :):)

If they're both Apple displays at 30" and 23", well, you don't look poor at all... that would be something over $2000, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm very happy with my 20" cinema here at the office :)

As for 16 cores...I don't wanna melt my lap. I like my lower extremities to work...that thing would have to run hella hot yes?

You are a weird man, holding a Mac Pro in your lap every time you use your computer... ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.