• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Mac Pros coming soon

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
Admittedly it's a beautiful computer... If I get one, I may hold it in my lap once in a while and stroke it, but eventually I'd have to put it elsewhere to make room for the cat. Also, it's heavy enough that I'd probably lose any feeling in my legs after a few minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
You are a weird man, holding a Mac Pro in your lap every time you use your computer... ;P

You haven't sat at my desk before. :p

Sucker would melt right through the glass top... ;)

Reaction score
I hope that this happens soon, I need one now for 3d animation and the imac 24" just won't do the job. If i get the ATI + a 7300 can I run 3 22" monitors? I will be doing dual monitors for work/net but a 3rd monitor would be good for other things. Anyone know if it will happen before or around december? That is the latest I can wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I wish these things would come down in price XD I don't have the money for it... If I did, I would...

Reaction score
As for 16 cores...I don't wanna melt my lap. I like my lower extremities to work...that thing would have to run hella hot yes?

I wish I was that passionate about mac pro's, but id prolly just see it, and then want to use it... although admittedly a 16 core would probably turn me on a little ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
New Mac pros November?

Anybody buy this rumor??
New chips just rolled off the assembly line so could be.

Wonder what will happen to exisiting line up? Price drop maybe? I haven't followed apple before as I am a switcher, so I don't know if history tells it that the previous models are reduced.

I am holding out for a few weeks to see, but i am in dire need of a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Anybody buy this rumor??
New chips just rolled off the assembly line so could be.

Wonder what will happen to exisiting line up? Price drop maybe? I haven't followed apple before as I am a switcher, so I don't know if history tells it that the previous models are reduced.

I am holding out for a few weeks to see, but i am in dire need of a new computer.

Typically the new replaces the old and the discontinued product is reasonably discounted until the Apple store you're buying from runs out of stock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
do you guys know of anyone with 16 GBs of ram and 3 TBs of harddrive space. i think they would be pretty much god like. lol only if...

OP
DSCole312
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
I think the Mac Pro would achieve self-awareness at around 16 GB of RAM and 3 TB of hard drive space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
do you guys know of anyone with 16 GBs of ram and 3 TBs of harddrive space. i think they would be pretty much god like. lol only if...

I'm working on it!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Admittedly it's a beautiful computer... If I get one, I may hold it in my lap once in a while and stroke it, but eventually I'd have to put it elsewhere to make room for the cat. Also, it's heavy enough that I'd probably lose any feeling in my legs after a few minutes.

Yeah, my mac pro weighs like 70LBS, not going to be holding it in my lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook CD
Running eight 30" displays would require four graphics cards that each support two dual-link DVI ports. It's possible on the Mac Pro, and I suppose it would be useful for somebody doing some hardcore video production work, advanced medical/scientific visualization, or some sort of financial trading stuff. However, such would be an obscenely expensive overkill for most everyday users.

As for myself, I do architectural design which includes CAD drafting, 3D architectural renderings, and some graphic design. Two 23" displays or one 30" display would be more than enough for my needs.

The current cards available for the Mac Pro that have two dual-link DVI ports are double thick cards (i.e. they take up two PCIe slots due to card height). There is only one double height slot on the Mac Pro, so I believe you would only be able to squeeze in one more card, which would take up two more of the four slots. I don't think there is enough room above the top slot for one either.

So, that means a maximum of (5) 30" monitors (a two dual-link card + 3 single dual-link cards, or (2) two dual-link cards + 1 single dual-link card) provided that we are talking about stock cards.

8 30" Monitors would be nice though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.