• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stupid Windows Virus

M

Matt

I keep getting this pop up that says I've got a "Parasite" that makes my computer dad's computer go slow, makes pop up frequent and ceates errors to pop up.All these things described are showing up, mainly slow o the internet. I think these people who are making this pop-up come up created the virus so I have to pay the 29.95 dollar fee to get rid of it. Does anyone know what this virus is called or how to get rid of it??? We had a virus protector, but it would't let us update it (and by then it must have been 5 years out of date).

What's the best free trial or just plai free virus protector out there to download???

What's a parasite??? Or are they just saying that so I pay the fee not thinking that a virus protector could wipe it out??

My dad's got Windows 98 Second Edition. I didn't open an e-mail, nothing.

ERROR LIST so far (Random order):

"You have performed an illegal, if problems persist seek you vendor"

I had to control alt delete My computer after that the error appeared.

"Desktop recovery" (you know the one where the desktop is white with writing on it headed "Desktop Recovery) This error also appeared after booting

This is SO FAR

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
M

Matt

Now this is scary, it says it'monitoring the URL's I vsit, so that spyware, isn't it?

While I write this, it seems it's trying to stop me from writing, saying that Mac forums server is too buisy, and I was just trying to correct a mistake??? Last time I did control alt delete, their was this program called pop up blocker, which I never downloaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OP
M

Matt

Thankyou for your help :D

These forums must be the best on the net, so much better than PC forums.

OP
M

Matt

It started up in safe mode, but when I delted these things called "Ad Destroyer" and "Virtual Bouncer" and rebooted, it was fine :) Internet still VERY SLOW but no errors. I will download it now :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Hmm, I ran Norton, Spybot search and destroy, and AdAware on my uncles PC. He has DSL, and it still takes about a half an hour to load a page...

And I swear to god, that is *NOT* sarcasm.

OP
V

vuschejan

Well when I used PC's I had these same problems except None of the cleaners would work.... So I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP. It's not exactly the best and most efficent way but my PC is clean....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
His PC came with no install disks, but a partition on the hard drive that I'm guessing is the restore function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
the folder on the hard disk would be so that it doesnt keep asking for the cd when drivers are required

btw i hate your sig :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Absolute Zero, please see the forum rules on signatures, plus the general rule on hotlinking. Thank you for taking care of this asap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
that desktop recovery is active desktop... TURN IT OFF!!!!! :O you don't want to view your desktop as a web page.. its not meant for that, and its makes it more unstable also and maybe it got in through ie (if you used it) :confused:

it sounds like dodgy adware/spyware, adaware 6 personal may fix it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
Absolute Zero, please see the forum rules on signatures, plus the general rule on hotlinking. Thank you for taking care of this asap.
Err, I don't see any rules, and I have not linked to anything.

Edit: Announcements are hard to spot in vb3... Working on it...

OP
M

Matt

I don't know the difference to be honest :). I will turn it off then.

Absolute Zero, try Witesharks link. Theres a very small chance it will detect it since you've tried numerous things, but you never know :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
thank you for responding to the rules quickly, we apprciate your help in keeping this forum the kind of place we all like to visit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.