Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Good Luck, I wish you the best :)

Reaction score
"Customized" Newertech miniStack v3. Using FW800 to connect to the iMac.

CIMG1171.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
LaCie Porsche drives are known to be bad. They fail in greater numbers than probably any other external drive. Regular LaCie drive's are fantastic.

I have a regular LaCie external and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
WD has been making hard drives forever and I think they are very reliable and reasonably priced. I have 2 My Book drives from them (500 GB $120 from Newegg) and haven't had any problems.

Aesthetically speaking, their newly-designed drives would complement your iMac well.

http://www.wdmybook.com/en/

banner_external_studio.jpg

Reaction score
Over the years I have used a number of hard drives running on various PCs. Presently I have mounted a Maxtor 160 gb internal drive (6 months) -no problems, a LaCie/Porsche 80 gb external drive (12 months) -no problems and a WD 250 gb external drive (8 months) -no problems. I have on order a Iomega UltraMax external drive 640 gb 2 disk to provide storage for my yet to be received iMac for Time Machine storage. (which has a good rating by the "experts" and is selling for a discount from Iomega).
I have researched the "question" of best hard drive (internal & external )
over the net for much more time than I should have.
The general conscenses of my searches vary to the extent that most all have problems to drive "AB" is best and "XY" is the best and all permutations in between etc. etc. etc.. My advice would be A: do your own research, B: Pick between the "biggies" (Maxtor, LaCie, Iomega, Seagate, Western Digital, etc.). Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
external harddrive for time machine

Can anyone recommend a 2.5" one that is portable ? - I see western digital make one which has USB connectivity as a power source - they do various sizes 80, 120, 160 and 250 GB - I assume more space is better ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
is more space better is a tough question if you will never fill up a 250 gb worth of information then you are spending money on space you arent using. I personally love my WD 2.5" 80gb hard drive. i would recommend it to anyone. i do take it with me and i only use it for backing up my work and important documents.

i have a 3.5" 320 gb hard drive at home i use to back up and store all my media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
More space will make it last longer since it would take longer to fill. Also if the drive will see heavy use, more space will lower the change of fragmentation.

Reaction score
3.5 inch HD IDEE external enclosure suggestions????

I recently upgraded to the new IMAC, 2.0GHZ, 20 inch screen (stainless steel)

I previously had a G3 Graphite Imac, Special edition. (2001?)

When the G3 imac crapped out (power supply unit most likely), instead of fixing it, I decided to harvest the hard drive, which I now have (had to crack it open like an egg). I want to use this as an external drive, with the intention of retrieving data from it, and using it as an external for backup. Any suggestions on good brands of external enclosures for hard drives? I see SO many brands that it is hard to filter out the poor quality ones and the high quality ones. Any trusted names? All I need is a 3.5 inch IDEE compatible enclosure, preferably stainless steel (to keep with the imac scheme) and USB AND Firewire (might as well have both options).....any suggestions????? I AM running Leopard at this point...few problems with it I might add...
Thanks
Brad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Cheap External Firewire Drive

Whats a good place to look for an external drive for time machine or just backing up with higher than 100gb no more than 200.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You should be posting in "Other Hardware and Peripherals" subforum. Any standard hard drive will work with Leopard/Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
thank you for telling me to put this thread in a another forum but what I want to know is if there is a online store that sells these for cheapehr than retail.

Reaction score
Fry's had an in-store special today of a seagate 320 Gb w/ firewire for $99. I bought two, one for my computer and one for my daughter's. They're both working fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
External hard drive

I'm looking to purchase an external hard drive for my iMac. Not for time machine, just for backups of stuff. Looking for firewire connectivity with preferably close to 1TB of space and most importantly RELIABLE. Not looking for anything fancy or fast, as long as it has firewire. Any suggestions appreciated.

So far I looked into Seagate, WD, and Maxtor; all seem like a good choice, just trying to narrow them down. Pricewise, under $400 if possible.

Reaction score
i just bought the lacie 1tb from newegg. At the apple store it was 399. Newegg has it for 309.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah I forgot about Apple's Lacie drives. Thanks for the input. How is it so far? I know Lacie is very well known and has high ratings from customers.

Reaction score
Well, Im in toronto. And tiger direct at the moment is having a sale of Freeagent drives. Usb2.0 and firewire400 for 109.
Dont know if the american website has the same sale

Reaction score
so far so good. Bigger than expected. A friend got a 200 or so gig from costco which is alot smaller. I think the lacie has two drives so you can run raid?? But i feel it's pretty quiet and matches the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome thanks for the little review lil. :D

Reaction score
external harddrives

OK so for Christmas I want to get an external harddrive. I'm thinking it can't cost more than $250, but somewhere around $175 would be ideal.

Is there a way I could get an external harddrive where I could use it to back up all my files AND put files on there that I don't necessarily want store in my internal harddrive? Or would I have to get two separate ones for that?

I know I should start backing up my files, but I don't really have enough memory on my computer (60 gb) to store all my pictures, videos, and music. I'm always having to put stuff on disks and stuff...

I'm not really sure exactly how external harddrives work though so I don't know what I could/couldn't do with one...

I also know I'd like one that's USB-powered. And I don't want it to be very big...

What would be my best bet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.