Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure usb/fw400/fw800/eSATA
with a Seagate 750GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I have a 500GB Western Digital MyBook Pro. So far it only has my iTunes library on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
300Gb seagate USB

80Gb drive that I use to have in my Macbook before the upgrade to 160Gb USB/FW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1gb 80gb 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo
I know a guy who is into p2p software, like Limewire and soulseek. Get this he has TWO 1TB drives, for all of his Movies, "special" videos, music, applications. This guy is like a world archive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
1TB Western Digital MyBook, currently set on RAID 1, mirrors my internal HD, and with an extra 250GB for other stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
200 GB Maxtor OneTouch II
200 GB Maxtor Internal HD + External Enclosure
20 GB Maxtor I found laying around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.0ghz CD 1gb 80HD SD *black*
is anybody using an airport base station to network these drives? how reliable is it? can it stream audio/video in itunes??

first gen blackbook....wireless g :( wish it was draft n

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
250 GB Mybook, juust got it tuesday, works like a charm :)

Reaction score
1TB Western Digital MyBook, currently set on RAID 1, mirrors my internal HD, and with an extra 250GB for other stuff.

Hi StretchR, could you tell me if it's normal for the unit to be "pulsating" when in sleep mode? I got the impression that it would go to full sleep as in shut down until awoken.

I just bought mine a few days ago and decided to leave it on while I went about my daily business only to come home and discover the ring was pulsating even when my machine is turned off. It's connected via FW800 to a MBP. Personally, I don't like wasting energy even if it is just the LED that's consuming it.

Currently Striped, but I'm setting up another NAS to have the important data archived there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
heh...

8 Bay USB 2 External case with:

2 x 400Gb

2 x 300Gb

1 x 160Gb

1 x 120Gb

1 x 80Gb

1 x open bay.

****! Very nice. I thought I had too many hard drives. Just curious, but do you really use more than 1TB of stuff? I'm assuming you have tons of videos.

I have a 20GB sitting here, if you want to fill up your last bay for $10. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
****! Very nice. I thought I had too many hard drives. Just curious, but do you really use more than 1TB of stuff? I'm assuming you have tons of videos.

I have a 20GB sitting here, if you want to fill up your last bay for $10. :)

I'd say all of the drives are at least 1/2 full. The 400s and 300s are used for Music only (see my sig picture), the 160 is for Multi-Media (pictures, small video clips, small sound clips etc), the 80Gb is just for Music Videos and the 120Gb is for misc stuff.

I also have 3 x 500Gb internal drives and 1 x 250Gb internal drive. The 250Gb is my boot drive, 1 500Gb is just movies for my iPod and the other 2 x 500Gb are TV shows for my iPod.

This graphic might help (Note, the 120Gb drive is not mounted on the desktop):

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 60
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Core Duo, 13" Display
160 Gb Lacie Firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
external hard drive

what external hard drive do you guys recommend for storing just ripped dvds. ill be starting college in august and i want to rip some of my favorite movies so i dont have to bring the disc. im looking at a 500 gig western digital, but you guys might have other recommendations. any help would be awsome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I picked up a 500GB WD MyBook external drive yesterday. It's great. Hooked it up to the firewire and in an instant I was ready to go. Installed the Western Digital backup software (i know there are free programs too) and backed up my system right away.

Right away I backed up my harddrive. It's nice and small and the transfer was pretty fast. Generally for externals firewire is the preferred interface.

It was a great deal too it was $179CAD for the 500GB mybook premium. Futureshop (best buy cousin up here) was selling the 500GB mybook essential( no firewire and only one usb2.0) for $339CAD. A local computer store was selling the 500 Premium for $299. So it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
thanks for your reply i was leaning towards that one too. ill probally go pick it up tomorrow

Reaction score
What external hard drive should I get?

Good evening,

I will soon be purchasing my first Apple computer (when the new iMac is released) and I am trying to find out the best backup options I will have. I plan to use Leopard's Time Machine and an external hard drive. Since I would like this to back up automatically each night, that means keeping the hard drive on all night and maybe all day. The question I am asking myself is if it is okay to run an external harddrive on all day/night. My current drive is a Seagate 299GB ST3200823A-RK and I believe it has a built in fan.

I am wondering if anyone here leaves their external drive on 24/7 and also if there is one type that is better than another for this type of usage. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.

Reaction score
External hard drive questions

So in the next few days ill be getting my MBP, 15 inch, 2.4 Ghz, 2 gig of ram (for now), glossy screen, and so on and so on.

I'm a new windows convert, and on my windows computer i have a western digital 250GB external, but that will stick with the windows which will still see some use here and there, also its completely full.

So for my MBP i want something thats 750GB or 1TB that will be on almost all the time....with that in mind here are my questions:

-Do i want firewire or USB 2.0?

-Should i get an external hard drive, or an external enclosure and then put a hard drive in it? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each.

-And finally what would you guys recommend in my situation, i dont want to spend a ton, but i need somethign thats reliable, has a ton of space, and is reasonably quick.

Also what else should i look for when shopping for them?

Thanks a bunch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I would get firewire, as it will be faster. What's the most you want to spend? I just bought a 1TB western digital MyBook for about $375 at Best Buy.

Reaction score
I can likely work that out, its more than i want to spend, but it'll be worth it down the road, although ive heard reports of WD drives burning out firewire ports? know anything about that?

Also im assuming yours has fire wire right? And how big is it? out of curiousity

Thanks a bunch man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.