Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So regarding AEBS, any external hard drive will work with Time Machine? It does not have to be an Apple Product? Sorry, somewhat of a newbie when it comes to not just Apple but external hard drives. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So regarding AEBS, any external hard drive will work with Time Machine? It does not have to be an Apple Product? Sorry, somewhat of a newbie when it comes to not just Apple but external hard drives. :)

As long as it's USB or Firewire, it doesn't need to be an Apple product, any external hard drive will do. All you need to do is format it HFS+ with Disk Utility before you set it up for Time Machine.

If you'd rather have network-attached storage, only the Time Capsule or an external HDD attached to an AEBS will work.

Reaction score
Time Machine does not see HDD

Regarding attaching a hard-drive to the AEBS; I have done so and it is visible in the Finder and Airport Utility Manual Setup shows the disk, its name and size, but Time Machine will not find it.

This same HDD has been directly connected to my iBook before buying an AEBS and contains several backups already so what the hey?

Really appreciate any suggestions 'cos my head is sore from repeated contact with a wall.

Reaction score
Okay, after I get an external hard drive...then what is needed?

I have a 120G MacBook with USB 2.0 & Firewire 400.

What is better? USB 2.0 or Firewire 400.

Do I need software? Like superduper?
Or do the HDs come with needed programs so the computer is AUTOMATICALLY backed up.

Help. Thanks.

Michael
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Or do the HDs come with needed programs so the computer is AUTOMATICALLY backed up.

Help. Thanks.

Michael
[email protected]

Although theoretical maximum speed in slightly higher on USB2 than FW400 the actual transfer speed in practice has been found to be much faster under FW400 than USB2 in some cases twice as fast! USB2 does have the advantage of greater compatibility with other computers but this point can be negated when you buy a dual type drive with both. Personnally I like the drives with FW400/800, USB2 and uSATA but they can cost significantly more. I think its a case of you pays your money and takes your choice. But go for at least FW400 and USB2

As for backup software. If you are running leopard then time machine will do a decent enough job of an incremental backup. I like booting from a system disc and writing to a FW drive a complete copy of my root drive using disc utility but there are other very popular packages that can also do this. (my two options are free though!)

One other thing michael, don't include your email address like that at the end of posts or you will find harvesting software has grabbed it and you will be offered raft loads of far eastern phalic extension remedies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

It depends on what you are using it for. Firewire is faster but USB is ok to use for transferring data. If you are going to be using the drive for storing and editing video you need to use Firewire.

It depends, again, what version OS you are running. If you are using the latest Leopard then back up software is included, Time Machine. A lot of drives come with software but it us usually for Windoze. So if no Leopard then you will probably need other software. I use Time Machine and I also back up important files to online storage, xdrive and .mac. I haven't used superduper so I can't comment on that.

Reaction score
Hi. I bought a Seagate Freeagent Pro 750g. The first one would only format to FAT32, all other formats gave an error message. I sent it back and got another one. It became unreadable within 2 weeks. I've gotten my 3rd one (within 1 1/2 months) and I can't get it to format to anything except FAT32 again. I was wondering if anyone else had these kinds of issues with a Seagate external, and whether to just sell the darn thing on Craigslist and get something else! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
why not get the apple 500gb wireless hard drive... is that to slow? what is the transfer rate on that?

or is that just for time machine

Last edited:
Reaction score
i mean the time capsules are exorbitantly expensive, and do most people really need need the wireless feature for the extra money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD
I'm in need of a backup drive. Time Capsule is expensive, but I really like the wireless aspect of it. I think if I owned an iMac, I'd just get a regular USB connected drive, but because it's a MacBook, wireless would be good...

Is there such thing as a wireless external HDD (like a Time Capsule), but is less expensive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I'm in need of a backup drive. Time Capsule is expensive, but I really like the wireless aspect of it. I think if I owned an iMac, I'd just get a regular USB connected drive, but because it's a MacBook, wireless would be good...

Is there such thing as a wireless external HDD (like a Time Capsule), but is less expensive?

If you have a wireless network then you can use a normal network attached drive and just plug it into the router/hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Did anyone mention Time Capsule. Expensive yes bu oh so Mac and gets great reviews from what I have seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
I just got one, its not that easy to set up, I think you have to directly connect it to begin with to your network.

I'm trying to decide right now between Iomega UltraMax Hard Drive 500gb and LaCie d2 Quadra 500gb to go with my macbook. Which is better for a college student? I would put all my itunes on there and play it directly off of there as well as use it for time machine backup.

Reaction score
Hi - I might be OFF but please guys be patient as Im new to this forum...:)

First of all Ive just bought a Segate Freeagent 120 GB HD (5400prm) as I was recommended by other Mac users.

At second - my macbook's HD is knackered so Im aiming to use it as a booter until I got chance to get it fixed. Im installing OS on the Seagate now and its just going extremely slow. I started more than 2 hours ago and the blue line is not at even halfway yet..:(((

Can someone explain me please what is happening? Is it the Seagate? Or the OS? Or what? Its an USB drive anyway so I was aware that it could be a bit slower but I wasnt expecting this...:)
Thanks in advance
L.M.O:)

Reaction score
This is a very long thread. I did some reading, but unfortunately didn't find any info about G-tech drive Q. I am thinking about buying a 500 Gb or 750 Gb model. Any reviews?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
This is a very long thread. I did some reading, but unfortunately didn't find any info about G-tech drive Q. I am thinking about buying a 500 Gb or 750 Gb model. Any reviews?

Look around page 25...

I'm looking into buying a 1TB LaCie. Amazon has one with great reviews on sale for $265. My questions are: 1) I would like to be able to play movies I put onto the HD on my PS3 when I connect it via USB. Should there be enough power to run the HD? 2) From my understanding, I will have to format the drive in FAT32. Will that be okay for running on my mac when I don't have it hooked upto my PS3? I plan on using this with Time Machine, also...

Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks, I did. Found some posts about them. Will soon buy one, definitely.

Reaction score
I use a Seagate Free-Agent Pro 500gb that i purchased from Fry's Electronics for 115 dollars, and so far (4m) it has been completely flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.