Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Interesting find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Just to play devil's advocate...how would LaCie know?

(The answer, most likely, is, "they read the same rumors we all do.")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It would be even more interesting with a link to some proof, other than a sales rep's hearsay. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
MyBook External Harddrives

I'm on the market for an external harddrive and I've decided to go with a MyBook Pro or MyBook Studio drive by Western Digital.

I went to the Western Digital site tonight to order the drive and I couldn't because I live in Canada. I didn't think it was a big deal though because there are other online retailers, right? NOPE. Every Canadian site I go to doesn't have it listed. They have other WD drives but not one of the ones I'm interested in.

So I went to bigger players like Amazon and DELL. They have the drives but won't ship them to Canada.

WHAT GIVES!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I bought my MyBook Pro new on eBay. It was cheaper there than anyone else I could find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
US laws preventing export of computer goods to other countries. Have exactly the same problem here in Australia. As bryphotoguy suggest go to ebay.com or ebay.com.ca (is that right for Canada?) and buy from a seller there.

Have purchased two WD HDD recently from dealers using ebay with no probelms at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I checked Ebay and all of the drives were about the same price but they also had a shipping cost of about $30.00.

I went to the Canadian COSTCO site and just bought this...
Call me crazy but I love COSTCO. If the drive tanks in two years I can take it back for another - well, okay, a refund. They have an amazing return policy.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10306518&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|84&N=4008634&Mo=18&No=8&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=4298&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Congrats on the find!

Reaction score
Advice on buying a TB external HD

I'm going to be buying a TB external for my macbook pro (will hold mostly video). I've looked at the Lacie ones and think I might go for that (280 on neweeg.com). Are there any other suggestions?

I've heard people who say to get two 500gig HD instead so that you dont lose everything if they fail. It obviously takes up more desk space and is hard if you are traveling around (im a student). My question is do these fail all that often? And if they 'fail' what are the chances the data on it will be unreadable even for a computer repair person?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The problem with that argument is that more often than not, the two drives are in a RAID 0 or JBOD configuration. So even if just one drive fails, you'll lose all of your data anyway, making it no more secure than a single TB drive. The only way you benefit from data loss is with a RAID 1 or RAID 5 drive, but to achieve 1TB in either of those configurations, you would need either two 1TB drives or four 500GB drives.

I've had hard drives last me years without a problem. The chances of drive failure are pretty low, so just go ahead and buy whatever drive you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I got a Lacie 500GB over a year ago, for video. I have never had a problem. For christmas I go the TB. Lovin it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
For HDDs, my favorite company is WD (Western Digital). Followed by Seagate, then Lacie. However, if I wanted to get a large external drive, I'd go for a solution called Drobo. It's the only way I'd do it.

Reaction score
Western Digital vs Iomega Hard Drive

I am looking to add another external hard drive to my computer to run time machine off and add just some other stuff on it, music and videos mostly. I currently have a western digital 250gb, and am looking to upgrade to a 500gb. However I was wondering how Iomega and Western Digital compare to each other. Is one truly better than the other or are most external hard drives the same?

Thanks for your input

Jason

Reaction score
I have a Western Digital My Book external HD and it works great. I haven't had any problems with it.

It's mainly used for Time Machine and other files I put on it.

Reaction score
Silent/Quiet external hardrive?

I'm looking for an external hardrive to use for backups. I've come to love the mostly silent operation of my mini. On the Apple site, I've read good reviews on the g-tech g-drive, which has no fan, though reviewers elsewhere have had some negative comments on noise. I've thought about getting a drive intended for Audio recording, which should be quiet, though I don't know what to look at, or how it would compare to the g-drive. Any advice on a silent/quiet hardrive? Any quiet lovers own a g-tech? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
We have two, make that three, Seagate FreeAgent externals, and they are super quiet -- I can't event tell they are on unless I look at them and see the light is on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
I have a Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus and it's totally quiet. It completely powers down when not in use and it works perfectly with both 10.4 and 10.5 (and Time Machine).

I also have a WD My Book and I've had to remove it from my main machine because of all the noise it makes. I'd recommend you avoid that drive.

Claire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I have two LaCie 500GB external drives, and I have to look at the front panel light to see if they're even turned on. Very quiet in operation.

Reaction score
I need some safe storage . . .

I would really like to make a RAID set up for storing about 600 gb of info (which is always growing). Now it is spread across a number of external hard drives and I'm nervous that one is going to eat it on me.

Now the question, should I get a NAS device (i like the idea of just plugging it into my router and having it work) or step up and build my own server? Anyone have any experience with Dell servers and RAID 5 setups or a a NAS RAID 5 setup?

Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
enclosures and external drives...

hi,
I'm in the need of an ext HDD and a bit confused over the options.
I need one for video, so I'm looking into range of 500-1TB.
It seems cheaper to get a separate HDD and enclosure that can support FW800 for my MBP.

In terms of enclosures,
I've heard the Icecube G2 is good, then I read someone
http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/12/31/...ive-enclosure/
raving about the NewerTech miniStack:
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newe...gy/FWU2ESMSV3/
Any ideas with these or other recommendations?

My priorities are cost and reliability. I presume the HDD itself needs to reliable (seagate/WD generally best?) as well as the enclosure chipset (oxford?).

It seems not that much more expensive to get two 500GB drives and use one as a backup. (was thinking of having a RAID 1 setup but it just sounds a bit confusing). I guess with the price of drives dropping I can always get another in a couple of years if I fill up.

anyway any suggestions greatly welcome to these confused ramblings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.