Using a neighbor's wireless internet

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the laptop world - hubby got me a MacBook 10.4.8
so I have no experience logging on to the Internet outside of my home!
If I am in an airport that is supposed to have free Internet how
do I get on? It seems like Airport wants a password.
I'm going to be staying at my Mom's house and would love
to "borrow" her neighbor's wireless access - I was thinking
of asking him for his password (if that is not too rude). Is that all I need?
Thanks for the assistance - sorry I am so naive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro: 2.4GHz | 13" MacBook: White 2.16GHz | 24" iMac: 2.8GHz
Well Airport is just Apple's cool word for Wi-Fi, and Wi-Fi is just a word for wireless internet access.

So, if you click on the little Airport button in the top left of your toolbar and there are wireless networks around (other "Airports") then there will probably be different names for close-by wireless networks.

If this is confusing for you, just take your MacBook into a McDonalds, Starbucks, Borders Bookstore or another place that is a "Wi-Fi hotspot," and you'll know what I mean. Click on the Airport button, and choose the Wi-Fi network that you are in (it will most-likely say Starbucks, etc.). It should not ask you for a password.

Certain places might charge you for internet, but I don't think so.
So, if your mom's neighbor has wireless access, then yeah, he probably will tell you the password, it's not like you can change his network or hurt it at all without knowing other pieces of information.

Do you know him well? If you do, then he shouldn't hesitate to give you the password. Before asking him for a password, try connecting to his network using the Airport button, etc., he might not have a password.

Hope I helped!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.