Lost Disks

Reaction score
Here is the problem:

I've misplaced the start up disks that came with my macbook. I plan to install Leopard upon its release. My question is this: Will I need those startup disks in order to install Leopard? Would anyone advise me to contact Apple and ask them to send me a new set of disks?

Thanks a bunch to all who reply.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Here is the problem:

I've misplaced the start up disks that came with my macbook. I plan to install Leopard upon its release. My question is this: Will I need those startup disks in order to install Leopard? Would anyone advise me to contact Apple and ask them to send me a new set of disks?

You won't need the old install discs to install Leopard, however, if you plan to do a clean install, you will lose iLife '06 as that won't come with Leopard.

Reaction score
Iif you plan to do a clean install, you will lose iLife '06 as that won't come with Leopard.

Would it be possible, if you had the iLife disc to install iLife '06 on top of Leopard?

I ask cos your point is a good one, there probably are those who wouldn't be aware of that .... losing their iLife install ..... and if they don't have the discs then what's the story mornin' glory?

M

MacHeadCase

Here is the problem:

Like cwa said earlier, you will need them if you want to reinstall the bundled software that came with your Mac and use the Delete and Install option when you install Leopard.

Another good reason to get those restore disks back, apart from the bundled software installers, is the diagnostic tools you have on them: one of them is Apple's Hardware Test which is kinda handy when you want to check on your hardware components.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Spawn__Dooley;507093 said:
Would it be possible, if you had the iLife disc to install iLife '06 on top of Leopard?

Yes, I believe so. I don't think there were any revisions so major to OS X that they would cause software incompatibilities. Maybe if it were really old software, but I think iLife '06 should be OK.

I plan on doing a complete erase and install of Leopard when it arrives, and I intend to put iLife '06 back on it, as I don't have or intend to buy '08.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.