video card?

Reaction score
can you buy a better video card for a macbook? if so can anyone provide me with links? i searched google and can't find anything. thanks

Reaction score
MacBooks have an integrated video card, that is, it's a part of the motherboard. It can't be upgraded or changed in any way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
You can; it's called the Macbook Pro :D

Seriously though, newcitizenship is correct in that it's part of the mother board.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
NOOO!! this might be a stupid question. but is there a such thing as an external video card i can buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD
No, there is not.

Laptops arent very good for gaming.

I have a MacBook for uses, and a gaming PC for gaming.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
No, there is not.

Laptops arent very good for gaming.

yes they are, they're just not cheap. they use dell laptops at most professional video game competitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
NOOO!! this might be a stupid question. but is there a such thing as an external video card i can buy?

There are external video cards that are in the works, they just arn't out yet. I think asus has some external thing on their site or something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD
Maybe its just my experience, I bought a $2000 gaming laptop months ago, and it had a full keyboard, which included the number pad, hard to use the W,S,A,D keys. I ended up returning it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

ATI and Nvidia were working on external cards a year ago...haven't heard much since.

And I only paid a little under $1500 for my 17" Dell and so far I can run pretty much any game that I want to on it at full res and full/almost full graphics setting and still manage 60fps with most of them.

It's not always expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
That kind of thing. But it's just a low tech cheap graphics card just to enable you to use an external monitor.

Why do you want a new graphics card anyway? I can only assume for games?

You know you could sell your MacBook on ebay and get a good price for it? Then you could upgrade to a Pro.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's what they're talking about.

But, I highly suspect that card is not even as good as the integrated card already in your MacBook.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
That kind of thing. But it's just a low tech cheap graphics card just to enable you to use an external monitor.

Why do you want a new graphics card anyway? I can only assume for games?

You know you could sell your MacBook on ebay and get a good price for it? Then you could upgrade to a Pro.

yea for games. i dont want to trade for a macbook pro because i like the size/sleekness of my macbook. i like everything about my macbook except for the video card. i guess ill have to wait until someone makes one.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no one is going to make one. let go of that dream.

if you want to play games on a mac either lower your expectations for your macbook or add an imac to your family. ;)

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
no one is going to make one. let go of that dream.

if you want to play games on a mac either lower your expectations for your macbook or add an imac to your family. ;)

my funds are kind of low right now. would a Mac Mini do the job?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nope. a mini has the same non-upgradable video "card" that a macbook does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.