& iPod Touch SDK coming Soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Not sure if this was posted before, but I think its super Exciting.. Check it out from the Apple Website:

Apple WebSite said:
Third Party Applications on the iPhone
Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
this is great

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer.

If Apple choose to go down this route will this prevent a mass of home developers from producing useful applications for the iPhone?

What determines what a "known developer" is?

I am currently employed as a software developer for a company that only develops for the winows platform. Clearly someone like me would be interested in developing for the iPhone in their spare time but would I fall outside the category of "known developer".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I'm very happy...but February? O well, I'm locked up in a two contract anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
If Apple choose to go down this route will this prevent a mass of home developers from producing useful applications for the iPhone?

What determines what a "known developer" is?

I am currently employed as a software developer for a company that only develops for the winows platform. Clearly someone like me would be interested in developing for the iPhone in their spare time but would I fall outside the category of "known developer".

Wouldn't it work something like widgets? If I'm not mistaken, you'd submit your work for Apple to approve, and you'd get your digital certificate if it checked out OK.

If it works smoothly, it's probably a good thing. I understand what you say totally, but I know there's a lot of crappy software out there which we've all wasted a lot of time on. If that problem can be eliminated, I'm all for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm very happy...but February? O well, I'm locked up in a two contract anyway.

And if I read that correctly, it looks like Feb. is Apple's time frame just to get them into "developers hands"... so this could be a long time before us common folk have them. but... it's a step in the right direction, and a million mile journey begins with a single step, and bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and don't count your chickens before they hatch, and don't put all your eggs in one basket, and kill two birds with one stone... :D:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm only worried that this will stop development of the current set of third-party apps available as programmers figure it's not worth their time trying to support the current crop if an official SDK is only a few months away.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Wouldn't it work something like widgets? If I'm not mistaken, you'd submit your work for Apple to approve, and you'd get your digital certificate if it checked out OK.

Yeah thats would be fine, no problem with that - providing Apple dont charge for approval

If it works smoothly, it's probably a good thing. I understand what you say totally, but I know there's a lot of crappy software out there which we've all wasted a lot of time on. If that problem can be eliminated, I'm all for it.

Me too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.