what should I do?

Reaction score
My computer is a 1.8 GHz powerPC G5 with 1 GB DDR SDRAM with osx 10.3.9 (sucks i know) but i just got a copy of 10.4.10. i want to install it but i have never done it before on a mac. what should i do?

Also i was thinking that i could just get another harddrive and install it on that one... is that an ok thing to do? if so what kind of harddrive would i need to get? i have a Maxtor 6Y160M0. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You can purchase any SATA desktop HD and put it in. You can install 10.4 on the second HD if you wish. That way you can try out 10.4 but always go back to 10.3 if you need it. I am more familiar with 10.4 than 10.3 so it's easier for me to use and find things. It really isn't much different though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Are you asking if 10.4 would be slower than 10.3? It might be. If you have plenty of RAM it might not be. But there plenty more apps for 10.4 than 10.3 that I like. If I had to choose between variety of apps and a little bit slower OS, I'd choose the variety.
But like I said, you could just buy a second HD and try it out. A new HD is like $100. Or you could partition the HD and install 10.4 on the new partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.