iBook G4 Hard Drive Replacement question with OS X

Reaction score
I just bought a 1 gig G4 iBook on eBay.
It has the stock 30 gig Hard Drive.

I have a 60 gig, 7200 RPM drive I'd like to replace the 4200 RPM, 30 gig drive with.
I've read online that this is a major pain, but I'm willing if I can make it work, as I'll be using the notebook for audio recording.

My problem is, OS X Tiger is installed on the stock drive. But because I bought the computer used, it didn't include the OS disks.

Is there a way to somehow migrate my operating system off of the 30 gig drive on to the new drive?

I'm new to Macs, so I'm curious if there is a way to do this. I also have a G4 MDD tower.

Can I somehow do this using the "target disk" function, or am I way off there?
Is there a simpler way, or is it just impossible without the restore disk?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You'll need an external enclosure for the second drive, then plug it into the computer.

OP
J
Reaction score
You'll need an external enclosure for the second drive, then plug it into the computer.

Ok... You mean like a firewire external drive enclosure?

And if I plug the new drive into the computer, how would I get the OS onto the new drive?

Sorry for the 'noob'-ness!

dod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.5 core2duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD; 12" ibook g3 600mhz, 640mb ram, 100GB HD
Just get a USB external enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive, and put your new drive in it

then use a program like carbon copy to copy your current drive to it

then go through the fun of tearing apart your ibook.

It's not that bad of a job, just take your time and lay everthing out carefully so you can put the screws back in the right places when trying to reassemble. Just find disassembly instructions online with pictures and follow allong.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.