Why Apple, why?

F

Fomer

Just a bit ago my screen fades like a veil has been pulled over it I can't move the mouse or anything keyboard doesn't work etc. and it says "You must restart, hold in the power button for 7 seconds and release" then it was repeated in Korean and French... and German (maybe).

I am not concerned thinking it wasn't Apple, and possibly spyware or something sinister... its in the back of mind though as in a year I've never seen this message them WHAM! I do.

My problem with this is.... I had macjournal open and lost about 30 minutes of work and lost a yahoo! pool game.

Ugh, I thought I was leaving the lack of control and random out of place no explanation forced restarts when I sold my peecee. :(

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Oh snap.

You might want to replace the RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
What you had is called a "Kernel panic" and is sort of the equivalent of Windows' BSOD (Blue screen of Death).
A Mac, just like a PC, is nothing else than a computer, and yes, even a Mac can "die" like that...
But luckily, this happens very very rarely. As you noted yourself, you never saw it before. :D
BSODs happen a lot more often, as you probably know... ;-)

But seriously now...
If it happens more often, try to find out what can provocate it, for example which programs you were running. If it always happens with the same combination of running programs, it's a software problem, related to one of those programs.

OP
F

Fomer

More ram, eh?

I guess its about time... I've been putting it off since the day I bought this bad boy, trying to assure myself I can run 1,000 + songs, tons of mb of video media, photoshop, etc on 256.... how foolish.

Thanks for the information guys... to delete or not to delete to buy or not to buy, isn't that the question of the hour. :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
No no, not more RAM, new RAM,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I know it's all too often suggested as a "cure-all" in OS X, but do you routinely repair permissions and run the maintenance scripts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Basically, the things that can cause a kernel panic are
- Defective hardware (including and especially memory) and
- peripheral devices with kernel-level drivers (kext's) that are screwy.

If you have added any new peripherals recently, that might be the culprit. My USB cellular phone/modem has caused a kernel panic or two, for no sane reason. I also had a FireWire hard drive that seemed to enjoy throwing up kernel panics on a G4 iMac a while ago.

If you haven't added any peripherals, then you may want to run some hardware diagnostics using the Hardware Test CD that came with your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.