Thinking about using sandpaper on Macbook

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have had my macbook for about a year now, and it is really scratched. I take care of it as much as I can, but it still doesn't help me at all in regards to scratches. Anyone that has one knows that you can look at it and it scratches ;)

But anyways, I was wondering if anyone has taken say, 600 grit to their panels? I realize it would take the gloss away, that really doesn't matter to me, but at least it would be uniform scratches! any suggestions are appreciated, besides scratch repair, I really don't want to have to go buy a whole bunch because of the severity of the scratches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I'd try wet sanding if you're really serious about sanding it. And maybe like 3000 grit? It would probably be better to start with a high grit and work your way down to 600 if you really need the paper to be that rough.

EDIT: When I say "wet sand" I'm not talking about dumping a bucket of water over the MacBook and then sanding it down. I'm not a retard- Computers + H20 = Death :)

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't see how sanding your macbook would take off the scratches without hurting it any further...

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I'm sorry, but I don't see how sanding your macbook would take off the scratches without hurting it any further...

He doesn't want to take the scratches off, he wants to roughen up the entire MB so that the scratches aren't noticable amongst the millions of other scratches.

I'd actually like to see this. With a 2000-3000 grit, it'd give it a matte look. I'm really curious to see the results if he goes through with this.

edit: to put it in perspective, it would have a black MB's matte, rougher texture, only it would be white. In theory anyway, it surely won't be easy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I assume this is a white MacBook you're talking about sanding?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I am actually interested on how this would look, Sorta like the stainless look mod for the back of iPods with steel wool.

Reaction score
http://www.radtech.us/Products/IceCreme.aspx

Stay far, far away from using anything abrasive on your notebook.

I understand you are unhappy with how your MacBook looks but you seriously need to first try the IceCreme first to see how much of the scratches you can clean up .... you haven't provided a picture of the damage and although from your description it does sound bad, you should try the scratch remover first before heading down the "road of no return" ....

So far we've had the arguments for and against and I just think it's important for us to see a photo so you can get the best advice from us here ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
!!!!!!!!!!!

sandpaper on a MAC?! ouch :eek:

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
To all of you guys saying to use the Ice cream, that will only take the scratches out, and then of course, they come back again. Buying a Best Skins Ever or invisible shield is out of the question, I can't order online, and those are the only two I would use on my laptop. so no skins.

The scratches aren't TERRIBLE, but the laptop looks so cloudy, and honestly it looks like crap, I would rather have a matte finish to make it look evenly scratched across the entire surface, that way, no small scratch is going to **** me off, as you won't notice it.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this, and if anyone had any success in doing so, I know that the handpad had yellowed on me, and I was just wondering if I was to sand it down if the yellow would come out and I would have to paint it, which would suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
I am actually interested on how this would look, Sorta like the stainless look mod for the back of iPods with steel wool.

got any pics of the stanless mod on an ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
To all of you guys saying to use the Ice cream, that will only take the scratches out, and then of course, they come back again. Buying a Best Skins Ever or invisible shield is out of the question, I can't order online, and those are the only two I would use on my laptop. so no skins.

The scratches aren't TERRIBLE, but the laptop looks so cloudy, and honestly it looks like crap, I would rather have a matte finish to make it look evenly scratched across the entire surface, that way, no small scratch is going to **** me off, as you won't notice it.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this, and if anyone had any success in doing so, I know that the handpad had yellowed on me, and I was just wondering if I was to sand it down if the yellow would come out and I would have to paint it, which would suck.

the palm rest doesnt turn yellow?
you prolly bought urs when it first first came out right?
well apple has used different part on the palm rest so fix this issue

Reaction score
I think it is a cool "idea" but I don't think you are going to get the results you want. I recommend a hardshell clear case like speck (www.speckproducts.com). Check it out.

Also if you are so adamant about it then just do it. ultimately it's your mac, but I think there are better alternatives than potentially ruining your mac.

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
the palm rest doesnt turn yellow?
you prolly bought urs when it first first came out right?
well apple has used different part on the palm rest so fix this issue

I bought mine last december, and then had to have it replaced in april, and then again just a few days ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
How about trying little sandpaper, then spray paint. I don't have the cojones to try it, but I would love to see a custom painted macbook. There was a guy a while ago that I saw at a flea market. He did airbrushing. He would fine sand the case, then custom airbrush it. Looked like graffiti. I never saw a macbook, but he had a comp there that was airbrushed, looked great. ANyway, with a really good tape job, or better yet, removing the case to paint it, I don't see why it can't be done. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but would love to see one done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.