Thinking about using sandpaper on Macbook

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
Using something that coarse is why you can see the scratch marks in your first picture. Pretty unsightly if you ask me!! If you would have started with some 600 grit and took your time working up finer grits, you would have acheived that very matte looking smooth finish. You need to go back over yours with progressivly finer grits till you get rid of those sanding scratches...and sand it all in the same direction...looks like you didnt

that was a more midway picture, there isn't any scratch marks any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
I would try Flitz metal polish. I purchased a repair kit for a acrylic bath tub and a small tube of flitz and wet/dry sand paper were included. after I made the repair I polished the damaged area with the flitz polish afterwards there were no scratches and the surface was shiny.
Now I know the tub may have been made of a different material but it may be worth a try.

By the way, why are the macbooks, ipods etc made out of such crappy material in the first place? I know I always have to carry My macbook around like its a friggin fabrege' egg afraid it will get a scratch! I know some bought there mac because its pretty but I bought mine cause it WORKS!O:)

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
Everyone is suggesting I use a polish of some sort, but obviously if I wanted a shiny finish I would have used 3000 grit or some other form of scratch removal, it wasn't what I was going for obviously, I love the matte look, and now I can have the black Macbook finish with a white color, win win for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
Sorry I misunderstood,I thought you wanted to restore it! I think the white shiny macbook is nearing the end of its "cool factor lifecycle" anyway.

Ya got me thinking, How much would it cost to take my macbook to one of those places that do the spray-on bedliners for pickups................??;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
id like a matte finish but i love my first mac, cant fault it - Am now a macman will never go back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
the intel processors did it for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Sorry I misunderstood,I thought you wanted to restore it! I think the white shiny macbook is nearing the end of its "cool factor lifecycle" anyway.

Ya got me thinking, How much would it cost to take my macbook to one of those places that do the spray-on bedliners for pickups................??;D

I am a former mechanic and you can get it in spray can form. I dont think it's more than $10 a can depending on where you go.. But it is VERY Messy and the fumes are pretty bad until it dries. However it would be pretty cool and rugged if done right.

Reaction score
Although I like the IDEA, doesn't abrading the surface also change the qualities of the surface? Such as it no longer being slick and coated. I'd hate to see how hard it will be to clean a dirty smudge or stain out of porous sanded plastic =x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

IDK if that would be a good idea. That stuff is kind if thick and would insulate you Macbook, making if harder for it to stay cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.