Leopards Boot Camp? Why did they cut this?

Reaction score
I remember at the WWCD (I think thats what it is called) Jobs said that there was a menu item to suspend OS X and Vista to switch between the two without shutting down. I don't see this anywhere on their website anymore. Where is this feature or was it cut?

If it was cut that is extremely disappointing, that was my favorite new feature of Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yea, I remember reading something about booting a lot faster when switching operating systems. I guess we'll have to wait till next Friday to find out what happened to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The Deep Sleep feature is what you are refering to,...right?

OP
L
Reaction score
Its the feature where Jobs said that in the OS X menu you could choose "Sleep and go into Windows" and it would suspend the OS X and switch into Windows. Then in Windows when you wanted to go back to OS X you could choose "Hibernate and go back into OS X" and it would hibernate Windows.

This way you could switch OSs really fast. That was one killer feature, the speed of the switch (kinda like Parallels) but 100% native still, so everything works as expected. I have Parallels but have been very dissapointed in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I seem to remember reading somewhere it was dropped because it didn't work reliably enough yet. With a feature like that you want it to work properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
No deep sleep? Oh thats too bad. Why wouldnt they be able to do that, if Windows can Hibernate Mac should be able to...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
No deep sleep? Oh thats too bad. Why wouldnt they be able to do that, if Windows can Hibernate Mac should be able to...

It is not that simple... First of all "sleep" modes and "hibernation" modes are spotty enough with a single operating system. Going in and out of different operating systems with sleep mode sounds like a recipe for disaster and I am not surprised that it didn't work reliably.

I learned to never use hibernation over the past 14 years as a PC user. Maybe it works better on a Mac but on a PC the machines would act all kinds of stupid after waking up. I will never use that feature again on a PC and am pretty timid about trying it on my iMac. Just reboot...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Agreed, I always had some issues with hibernate on my PC computers, but sleep was usually ok. Even on my MBP I've had problems with sleep where it just won't go to sleep or wake up. I took it in and instead or trying to diagnose the problem, they replaced the logic board. Unfortunately, the problem is still there, so it must just be a design flaw they can't fix.

OP
L
Reaction score
New question. In this non-beta version of Boot Camp can you share data between the two OS's like my music, video and stuff. And anything I change in OSX will be reflected and visa versa?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

The only Windows machine I've ever had hibernate successfully is my old Laptop - all others freeze or crash on waking. Windows is a lot less reliable at hibernating than OSX is - OSX does hibernate, but only when the battery goes flat while it's asleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I don't know if "Hibernate" equates to "sleep" in OS X or not, but the only times I've had problems with sleep in OS X is when I've had USB devices plugged in and they've instantly woke it up again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.