OS X 10.4 won't bind to SAMBA PDC

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a beginner in networking achitecture and administration.

I have a samba domain contoller on an Ubuntu server 6.x system and 3 Mac OS X 10.4 clients. I also have several WindowsXP SP 2. I was able to ad my WinXP professional systems easily to the domain and everything is great.

Now, I have 3 Max OS X 10.4 clients that I can't bind to the domain on the ubuntu box...I get an error that the domain can't be found. I use the Directory Access GUI to attempt the binding...should I be using command line? Any ideas?

I use the samba PDC to manage the ACL, so I don't have openLDAP installed. Also, I don't have a DNS behind the firewall, I point to my ISP's DNS.

joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Hello,

I am a beginner in networking achitecture and administration.

I have a samba domain contoller on an Ubuntu server 6.x system and 3 Mac OS X 10.4 clients. I also have several WindowsXP SP 2. I was able to ad my WinXP professional systems easily to the domain and everything is great.

Now, I have 3 Max OS X 10.4 clients that I can't bind to the domain on the ubuntu box...I get an error that the domain can't be found. I use the Directory Access GUI to attempt the binding...should I be using command line? Any ideas?

I use the samba PDC to manage the ACL, so I don't have openLDAP installed. Also, I don't have a DNS behind the firewall, I point to my ISP's DNS.

joe
Since you said you arent running DNS behind the firewall, sounds like that might be your problem. If your machines are pointing to your ISPs DNS your ISPs DNS wont know about your DC behind your firewall. Unless I am confused as to how your network infrastructure is setup. Sounds like you will need to setup some sorta DNS server within your LAN.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

I did update the /etc/hosts file on my Mac with the reference to the server running the Samba daemon, so I can ping the server by name or by IP address. I wonder why the Windows XP computers can resolve the name but not the macs?

My network is really quite simple.

I have a router/modem combo (provided to me by AT&T) called a 2wire gateway. The router serves as a firewall, gateway (of course), and dhcp server. The Ubuntu server is connected directly to the router and has static Ip address while the PCs and Macs receive network information via DHCP. I tested my Macs with both static and dynamic IP addresses, but was unsucessful either way.

At this time, the only software installed on the Ubuntu is SAMBA and an SSH server, that's it. I can install DNS (I've never done this, so I'd rather not) if it will help.

thanks again.

joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.