An odd question regarding Internet Security

Reaction score
I was speaking with some guys in class today about Internet security, and a question came to mind....sorry that it is random, but I'm a curious person

Would it be possible for a person to hack into my computer (iMacG5 just so you guys know) and access my internet history/personal information... I'm thinking in terms of the hacker sitting at their desktop....If this is possible, how can I prevent it?

Reaction score
Safari has Private Browsing which you can enable if you don't want anything logged, such as where you've been etc.

safari.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
definitely make sure your firewall is turned on
apple>sys pref>sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
In a Windows environment, the easy answer is "yes." One could hide a script inside a .jpg on a website ("Click here for free access to Hot Babes Now") and upon activation it would be able to connect outbound and download additional code to log keystrokes or otherwise own your machine.

In an OS-X environment, you could still download a script, but at this point you may just be considered a 'carrier.' But any Windows user you would share that compromised .jpg with may then be infected...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.