Apple Cinema Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Quad-Core i7 // 16GB RAM // 512GB SSD // Radeon Pro 460 4GB
anyone know if the apple cinema displays are going to be updated soon or is it fairly safe to buy one?

i want to get an 23" to go along with my mac book pro but dont want to get screwed.

does anyone know how "refurbished" the apple refurbished stuff really is? is it like new or is it better off to just buy it new?

if i cant tell its used i might just get a refurb 23" to save some cash but i dont want to get it if its noticeable its been refurbished...anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you want to save some cash, buy the Dell displays. They use the exact same LCD panel as the Cinema displays.

BTW, this thread should probably be in the "other hardware and peripherals" subforum.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Quad-Core i7 // 16GB RAM // 512GB SSD // Radeon Pro 460 4GB
yeah was debating if it should go in rumors or not cuz if there was a "rumor" of a new monitor design.

i just kinda want the apple cuz it looks so nice and goes with all my stuff i guess i dono....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
From MacSlice:
The new Apple Cinema Displays will include a built in iSight camera (1.3MP), along with a thinner case design that is styled similarly to the iMac (Smoother brushed aluminum, thinner and a black Apple logo). The 20 inch model will be removed and new 24 inch, 30 inch and 32 inch models will arrive - all LED backlit. These new displays will contain no mercury, and be “eco-friendly”as part of Apple’s new campaign to be “green”.

I'm not sure how reliable this place is, having not really been in the mac-rumor business until recently but it sounds pretty accurate.

As far as I know, the refurbished stuff is pretty decent. My sister bought a refurbished iPod a few months ago and hasn't had any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
If you want to save some cash, buy the Dell displays. They use the exact same LCD panel as the Cinema displays.

BTW, this thread should probably be in the "other hardware and peripherals" subforum.

Which Apple displays use the same panels as which Dell displays? My 24" Dell is far better than the 23" Apple - Its no wonder then if they have squashed the panel! Or are you talking about the 30" Display - I have a couple of reviews which don't agree! I am not saying you are wrong I'm just asking a question!

The other thing is that the Dell displays have more input options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the reviews I've read, the Dell Ultrasharp models use the same LCD panel as the Cinema displays. I think they're made by Philips. In the reviews I've read, the reviewers actually crack open the displays and check out in insides, so I trust them.

True, the Dell displays do have more inputs and a cheaper price: it makes me wonder why anyone would buy a Cinema display unless they have to have an Apple product and money isn't a critical factor. I think the new Dell displays even have a built-n camera, which I've been saying Apple should do for ages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
does anyone know how "refurbished" the apple refurbished stuff really is? is it like new or is it better off to just buy it new?

My wife bought a Macbook refurb for her work and it looked brand new. My new MBP is also a refurb and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't think you would be able to tell my MBP is a refurb product.

Try eBay for the 23" ACD too. I bought mine there and it's been great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Apple will have new Cinema displays with LED backlighting by the end of 2008, because Stevie said they're converting all of their displays over to LEDs by then. So all we know right now is that we will have new displays sometime in the next year and a half. I'm hoping they offer them with an integrated webcam :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The refurbs prices are not low enough in my opinion and then it is just luck if they happen to have just what you want. Also my daughter gets a full student discount and that is not available with refurbs so it is about the same price new as refurbed. I know people who have bought refurbs though and they have literally been as new!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube

That's what I did. I just got a 24" Dell for $330 less than the 23" Apple. It uses a newer, better display with 92% color gamut. It has DVI (HDCP), VGA, Component, S-Video, and Composite inputs. It has a 4-port USB hub and an integrated card reader. I can tilt it forward and backwards, rotate it 90 degrees, spin it side-to-side, and adjust the height up and down. It even has a VESA mount so that I was able to mount it on my Ergotron LX LCD arm!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I did. I just got a 24" Dell for $330 less than the 23" Apple. It uses a newer, better display with 92% color gamut. It has DVI (HDCP), VGA, Component, S-Video, and Composite inputs. It has a 4-port USB hub and an integrated card reader. I can tilt it forward and backwards, rotate it 90 degrees, spin it side-to-side, and adjust the height up and down. It even has a VESA mount so that I was able to mount it on my Ergotron LX LCD arm!

I have the same arm! How high will yours hold your monitor? Mine will only hold it up to about 10 inches off my desktop. I don't need any more than that, but it's a bit disappointing. I've tightened it as much as I can.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah...oh well, i went and bought a 23" after debating between it and the 30" for a month or so...

its way bigger in person than i thought it would be. this thing is amazing actually. i personally love it. yeah the dell is what it is, but i know even thought it may be better and cheaper, i wouldnt be truely happy with it hooked up to my MBP as opposed to this beast which matches and what not...oh well, im more than happy right now so i guess thats all that really matters in the end.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
p.s. - glad to hear the newer ones will come out at the end of 2008 an i wont be totally screwed after having just spend bank on this one and find out in 2 months the new ones are coming out in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on your purchase. If it's what you want and you're happy, that's all that matters. Post a pic of your new setup in "the official setup thread" so we can check it out.

Reaction score
I have the same arm! How high will yours hold your monitor? Mine will only hold it up to about 10 inches off my desktop. I don't need any more than that, but it's a bit disappointing. I've tightened it as much as I can.

Hi Fleurya,
Which monitor did u go with exactly? I think I am going to go with dell also since they are the same monitor for much less and VESA already.
Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.