How hard is it to upgrade new iMac's hard drive?

Reaction score
I plan to purchase one of the new iMac's and I assume that the hard drive is not user replaceable so I know there are warranty risks but a couple months ago I was able to upgrade the hard drive in my current generation MBP to a 250GB drive.
When I get an iMac I plan to get the more expensive 20 inch version and want at least 500GB since it'll be dual boot (BootCamp) Windows XP/Mac. Even the 750GB is tempting. I may go the route of the smallest hard drive and then buy a larger hard drive and upgrade myself to save money but is this hard to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Yes it is a bad idea... You will void the warranty and not really save that much money. There are always NAS devices and external drives if you need more space. I run bootcamp on a 40 gig partition, I play one game and run a couple of small apps. All my music, movies and photos are on the Mac side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Well, if its anything like the previous generation iMacs, its VERY hard to do. I replaced the HD in my iMac, and I never want to do it again.

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
deleted, sowwy, need to learn2read. :>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.