IMAC won't start up !

P

pkcousins

I need help. My boss just gave me an old iMac G3 but when I start it up, it makes the nice start up noise, but then the screen just shows an image of a floppy disk with a question mark in the middle and the computer makes a click noise every second or so. Any ideas what's causing this and if it's cost effective to repair?
Thanks

OP
B

Badger

The flashing ? means it isn't finding a working system folder. Either the hard disk is dead or the system folder has been removed or erased. Did your boss erase the hard disk before he gave it to you? Try starting from the installation or restoration CDs or from a utility disk. (Hold the c down while booting with the CD in the drive).
Badger

OP
P

pkcousins

I don't think he erased the hard disk, but he didn't give me a restoration CD either. Can you buy those or can a good repair place use their own?
Thanks for the quick reply Badger!!

OP
M

Matt

You can buy OS 9 restore disks for quite a resonable price on eBay. If the harddrive is gone, pick up a small cheap Apple compadable Harddrive from ebay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.