macbook lid CLICKS when I open it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Does anyone else have this problem? I bought it tonight. When I open the lid it clicks pretty loud like something is catching back at the hinge or something.

Its almost like the top is hitting the bottom part at the back near the hinge.

T

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem? I bought it tonight. When I open the lid it clicks pretty loud like something is catching back at the hinge or something.

Its almost like the top is hitting the bottom part at the back near the hinge.

T

Here are some text grabs that relate to noisy hinges:

Secret is a LITTLE WD40. Don't spray it all over. Work it in with an earbud. Mine is now silent, thank goodness.

Be sparing with WD-40; it is petroleum-based and shouldn't be used on polycarbonate.

Just put a very small amount of WD40 on an earbud, and wipe it around the side edges of the hinge as viewed from the front. Try and get a small amount to "dribble" through around the edges where the hinge joins the case at each side. We're talking SMALL amounts here. Worked a treat for me.

I wouldn't use WD-40. Instead, use a screw driver to tighten the screws. See if it helps, it seemed to help on my MacBook.

I figured that it was caused by some little but sufficient amount of dust getting into the lateral corners of the lid, where it pivotes to the hidden axis. I just got a thin little piece of paper passed through the separation in both sides, and MIRACLE.

Anyway, I discovered that the 2 screws closest to the hinge (one either side) had worked themselves loose from regular use and presumably heat cycles.
It was just a case of tightening them (you need a small jewellers screwdriver) and it cured the creak. I may get around to putting some liquid thread lock on them at some point.

Hope that helps ... also need to ask if this 'click' is still heard with your MacBook turned off?

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it has nothing to do with it on or off, it is a physical thing. Its like the lid is hitting the back of the bottom part when I open it up.

T

Reaction score
Just needed to eliminate the failing HD diagnosis ...

Obviously, if the clicking sound was *only* there when the MacBook was turned on it *could* point to a failing HD ... So although I've given advice on how to heal a clicking hinge I still needed to cross my tees and dot my eyes ...

Reaction score
mine clicked too and i tightened the screws in the back by the speakers and the clicking was gone. the noise was from the joint near the speakers. not the actual hinge but where the two plastic pieces meet. hope this helps.

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.