EyeTV

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1) From where are you getting your TV signal - from antenna, cable box, satellite receiver????

2) Yes, you will probably need at least a couple of additional cables to connect your devices to the EyeTV. You will need to look at your devices, the TV, cable box, satellite receiver, etc. and see what type of connections are available on them for output.

3) The only content you will be able to record in HD will be by using the NTSC tuner (aka digital tuner or HD tuner) in the EyeTV to get your local over-the-air channels that are picked up by an external antenna and the antenna is connected to the EyeTV with a coax cable.

4) There are three ways to get a signal into the EyeTV.

A) Coax cable connected to an external antenna to receive your over-the-air local TV channels - like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, if you don't know what channels are your locals vs those fed from a cable or satellite box - ????

B) S-Video cable - this is the one you will use to connect your Xbox and most other equipment - it will not be in HD when it makes it into your computer as this cable does not have the capability of passing through HD quality signals - it should be as good as DVD quality

C) Composite cable - you do not want to use this connection except as a last resort as it will have the worst signal of the lot - definitely not in HD

Of these three cables, only the coax will also provide you with the audio portion of the content. With 'B' or 'C' you will also need to connect audio cables to get the sound from the device.

For me to be any more specific - you will have to give me your specific TV model, cable box or satllite model, etc.

5) Unless you are just watching a show and/or burning it to DVD and then deletling it - you will very rapidly fill up your hard drive. If you are wanting to save your recorded stuff, you will need more external storage space, sooner rather than later.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD
Well, I am getting the HD DirecTV, its not here yet, so I cant say what it has and doesnt have, my LCD TV is an HD TV with an HD TV tuner, does that help? I found out my 300gb external hard drive will work on my Mac, so I can use that for extra storage.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
You can use a Direct TV box with composite cables but it won't be in HD. The only HD you can watch and record on your computer is over-the-air from an antenna. Having a TV has nothing to do with this product, the signal goes from the source to your computer, no TV is needed, unless you were using a TV as your monitor for your computer.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a TV guide or something for the over the air stuff?

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is there a TV guide or something for the over the air stuff?

Thanks.

Your local newspaper, but it won't do you any good unless you have an external antenna. You should ask the DirecTV installer if they can put up an antenna for you also

And don't bother with composite cable (and to everyone else out there using composite when you have an available s-video, I suggest you switch) - all my old DirecTV receivers includ'g the HD reciever have s-video out - This will give you the best possible picture from the receiver.

You should be using component cables from the receiver to your TV.
Their newest receiver may have HDMI out, if so use that to the TV instead of somponent.

The second option for going from the receiver to the EyeTV would be to use the receiver's coax output. Have not tried this, but could give it try this weekend and let you know.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright.
I am going with Dish Network.
There coming here Saturday, I am getting it tomorrow.

So what do I have to ask them for?

I am going to the Apple store, anything I should pick up?

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a Radio Shack anywhere close - you don't want to buy cables from the Apple store - so no.

You should be able to connect using s-video cable and a set of regular RCA audio cables from the DishNetwork receiver to the EyeTV.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what do I need from the DishNetwork person, like an antenna?

I'll go to the Apple store, buy the tuner, and go to like a Best Buy or something and get the other kind of cables, which are, audio cables?

What are all the types of cables I'll need.

Besides the tuner, whats everything else, I'll need.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) You can ask the DishNetwork installer to add an ota antenna - this is an option and it will cost you extra on the installation fee
2) You will need an s-video cable - this will get the video portion to your EyeTV
3) You will need an RCA jack audio cable - this will get the sound to your EyeTV
4) You will need either a component cable or an HDMI cable for connecting the receiver to your TV

Do not go buy any of these until after your DishNetwork installation. The receiver you're getting installed may have all of these cables included in the box - just don't remember.

And I will try one other connection method Saturday morning and post back if there is a better option for connecting to the EyeTV.
Should have this before your installer gets done.

(Note to self - quit procrastinating and finish the connection guide you started 2 months ago)

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of antenna are we talking about?

Something I can install myself?

Thanks.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright.
So I purchased the Hybrid TV Tuner Hybrid, installed it, and its saying ''Device could not be initialized''

I also have an antenna thats coax and it fits perfectly on my tuner.

OK.
I updated, and I am getting heavy static TV, streaming.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First step
Go to antennaweb.org.

Go through their picking an antenna questionnaire, with your address and they will provide you with a listing of the best type of antenna, a map of the broadcast towers related to your location, and a listing of the available digital broadcast stations in your area.

Picking up these digital signal is directional - so you will want to have your antenna facing the broadcast tower.

If you are using an indoor antenna, I have tried at least a dozen of them from cheap to not so cheap, none of them are that great, a few are better than others. If you have an rooftop type antenna, changing the direction it is pointing may provide a great deal of help with the signal.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright.
I am in an apartment though, I am next to a window with a balcony for mounting.

I also got the DVI cable, I already had a DVI to HDMI for my PC to TV, it works great.

And Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being in an apartment may be pretty tuff to pick up ota signals depending on how far you are from the towers and possibly whether you can get clear line of site.
With all the indoor antennas I tried, would suggest you talk to the Dish installer about also getting him to add an antenna. It mounts directly onto the satellite dish. See what he thinks about the reception possibilities for ota in the location he will need to install the satellite.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright.
He'll be here tomorrow.

How do I hook my 360 up via component cables?

I hooked them up, but nothing appeared on the MacBook when I turned the 360 on.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You cannot connect the 360 to the Hybrid via component cables. There is no component connection. You will have to use either s-video or composite video, with s-video being preferred.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright.

So should the guy from the TV company carry around an antenna, or something to attach to the dish?

Or should I call ahead.

I want to watch/record HD TV *Streamed* , then record it while connected to my TV.

Thanks.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The guy doesn't have one.
I have two types of antennas, ones a thin pole with a metal ball at the top, around 8 inches tall, and another is smaller but in a plastic housing.

Could modding them get better reception?
I am in an apartment, but right next to a window with a balcony.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First step
Go to antennaweb.org.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.