EyeTV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD
Alright.
So, I want to buy an EyeTV device for my MacBook.

I want to record shows and content off my TV, which, has an HD subscription.
And connect my Xbox 360 and play.

I assume it will work with Leopard.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Alright.
So, I want to buy an EyeTV device for my MacBook.

I assume it will work with Leopard.

Thanks.

Well
OK

OK
OK

Should.

Your Welcome.

Sorry, but couldn't resist - do you have a question?

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah.
Is it worth the money?
Will it do the things I mentioned?

Reaction score
Have you visited Elgato's website? I would go there ... you might be able to answer your questions yourself instead of waiting for one here as to find out if certain EyeTV products will be Leopard Friendly I would have to go to www.elgato.com myself ....

I personally think the products are worth the $$$$$ but it is important to get the best Elgato product for you ...

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I thought that to.
But what about the flaws? What if everyones experience with the product is different?

What if the site says it does this, and a customer says it cant or not very well?

What if ...

Reaction score
Your best friend in this situation is Google IMHO ... and you're doing your research by coming here too, but don't expect to get all your answers here. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just helping you to think outside the square ...

By that do you mean you want to watch/record TV direct on your MacBook? Cos otherwise I don't understand the question properly.

Well I just Googled "EyeTV XBox 360 MacBook connectivity" and this is the result:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=EyeTV++XBox+360+MacBook+connectivity&btnG=Search

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd mainly like to record from my TV to my Mac, and have the show or whatever, saved on my Mac.

If I have HD TV, will it record to my Mac in HD?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I believe the only HD you can record is a signal from an antenna. I have an EyeTV hybrid and use an HD antenna to record HD content over-the-air.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then hows the quality when I hook it to a TV and record the content?

And also, what kind of shows do you get with the over the air stuff?

Thanks.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Then hows the quality when I hook it to a TV and record the content?

Exactly the same as what you see on the TV (unless you export it with a high compression)

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am new to this, what do you mean export with high compression?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Exporting with high compression is used to reduce the file size. For example if I record a movie on my Intel Macs HD using EyeTV, it may be about 4GB. If I export it to iTunes then the end file can be as small as 800mb.

There are drawbacks in that you can lose clarity or the ability to watch it full screen without it looking a bit fuzzy.

So in the compression, something is lost, never to return ... something has to be sacrificed in order to have a smaller file size and so what you originally saw in HD will no longer be in HD after the compression has finished.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
One Caveat - you will need a fast hard disk to capture high def TV in real time

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make sure you buy one of the EyeTV products that are HD ready - you do not want one of their tuners that is analog only as the analog TV signals are now scheduled to go away in 2009.

They currently have 3 devices that fit the bill for us US customers - the Hybrid, 250 Plus and the HD Homerun. Each with it's own set of features.

For connecting an antenna to pick up your local TV stations (aka over-the-air or ota) any of the three of them will provide this functionality by connecting a coax cable to the EyeTV and then using it's built in tuner to tune in your TV stations.

You can also connect a DirecTV, DishNetwork, or cable box to any of the three of them via coax. However, via coax, you will only be able to view the unencrypted channels. And, no, I do not know which ones are unencrypted - you will have to check this out with your provider.

For viewing HD content from any of these boxes or connecting your Xbox, DVD player and other devices - you will need to go with either the Hybrid or the 250 Plus. Both of these allow for connections from both composite and s-video. None of them have component nor HDMI connections. So, this means when HD content hits your computer, it will no longer be in HD as these cables are not capable of passing through an HD signal. Stay away from composite connections, use s-video. Have been using s-video from my DirecTV box and now DishNetworks boxes for many years on my Win machines and it will give you a decent picture.

Now, as Dooley has suggested, it's time to read up on them yourself to find the one that is right for you. Check out this page on ElGato's site.

And don't worry about compression yet. It's a little pre-mature to worry about what to do after you get the signal to your computer, as this will be the same no matter which device you end up using.

Reaction score
That's an excellent post ! I find it quite a bit too much to get my head around the subject and have found that even the salespeople tend to struggle once you start asking certain questions ... what you said about the HD content no longer being in HD due to the types of cables used is so tricky and the average user really has to do their own, quite extensive, research IMHO ... and you obviously have done your fair share !! Kudos/props

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.
I was thinking of getting the hybrid.

The page says HD TV, so would that mean it records in HD, if the content is HD, or it streams HD.

How would I find out what channels and shows are one the streaming TV.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The EyeTV hybrid will record ota (remember this is your local over-the-air TV stations) digital signals. Some of these will be in what is called SD or Standard Definition and some will be in HD or Hi Definition. It will record whatever ota signal the tuner can pick up.

Part of your consideration between the Hybrid and the 250 Plus should be this: the Hybrid will use your CPU for encoding the video stream that you are capturing, the 250 Pro has it's own hardware encoder to take the bulk of the work off of your CPU. The processor in your Macbook should be plenty capable of taking the load dependant upon how much multi-tasking you want to do while recording. If you try to do a lot of other things while recording with the Hybrid, you may experience either slow downs on the system or pixelation in your recordings. I have the Hybrid (neither the 250 Pro nor the HD Homerun were out when I bought mine) and it seems to do an adequate job, although I don't use it much as my XP machine sits around all lonely nowadays, so I still use it for most of the recording from TV that I do.

Don't understand your last question.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like with the streaming TV, I assume its like being on a TV.

So, the Hybrid, will record content on my TV to my MacBook?

Thats what I really want.

And hows the quality with connecting an Xbox 360?
The youtube videos arent the best quality.

Thanks.

The 250 Plus doesn't have good reviews. The Apple store had both of the tuners, I am going back Friday and purchasing one.

Just so everyone can understand I want the tuner to be able to record the TV shows and movies that are available on my TV.
I want to get the best quality when I record the content to my MacBook, to save as a file.
I'll have an HD subscription with my TV, and I want the best quality.
I'd like to be able to play my Xbox 360 clear and fast on the MacBook.

Stuff like that.

Thanks.

OP
Teh_Derek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VHS recorder?

What?

So, the Hybrid will do everything I listed?

Do I have to buy any additional items?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.