Fresh start on a G3(Need help)

M

Mobile PhD

Can anyone help me find where to download The newest free version of the Mac OS? Someone told me that Apple has it on their site, but I cannot find it. I only have a working PC to download it with, so it has to be able to be burned to a CD and used in the G3. Also, can you download a disc image to burn to install the OS with? I am totally new to Mac's, but I am very experienced with PC's and looking for a new challenge. Any help anybody can give would be truely appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Mobile PhD said:
Can anyone help me find where to download The newest free version of the Mac OS? Someone told me that Apple has it on their site, but I cannot find it. I only have a working PC to download it with, so it has to be able to be burned to a CD and used in the G3. Also, can you download a disc image to burn to install the OS with? I am totally new to Mac's, but I am very experienced with PC's and looking for a new challenge. Any help anybody can give would be truely appreciated. Thanks

There are no free versions of the Mac OS. If you already have an installation CD, there are most likely free update downloads for that, but regardless, you still need a functional installation CD first.

OP
M

Mobile PhD

Padawan said:
There are no free versions of the Mac OS. If you already have an installation CD, there are most likely free update downloads for that, but regardless, you still need a functional installation CD first.

Is there anywhere I can get a cheap Mac OS install CD. And is there a specific version you would recomend?

OP
C

chronogoof89

Matt said:
I thought the update from 10.3 to 10.3.4 was free? What do you mean? :confused:

Yes, AFAIK, the upgrades from 10.3.x -> 10.3.y are always free. From 10.2 (Jaguar) to 10.3 (Panther) is not free, from Panther to Tiger won't be free either. 9 -> X is not free either. I know that I get a Mac discount catalog with MacWorld. I dunno the name, but they say they have OS8 and up starting at $1.24 or something (obviously for OS8, which I dunno why anyone would use if they could get 9 or X on their comp.) But I'm sure you can get 9 for pretty cheap there. When I get home from work I'll post the name of the place. I think its MacMall?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.