Windows and Harddrive space

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a great site. I just have a few questions for you experts out there.

First off, I have downloaded and installed Windows XP on my MacBook. The problem is I only partitioned 10 Gigs of HD space! For what I am using my Windows for I need 20. Is there any way to partition it again for more space?

Secondly, the reason I need that space is for gaming. I recently bought the Star Wars Best of PC pack and I need more space to install all the games on my Windows. Is it possible to use an external HD to install these games?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Ive messed around with boot camp and partitioning a lot and as far as i know it's impossible to repartition. You have to go back to mac only, then run the assistant again and start over.

You should be able to install it on an external drive, but you have to have it connected when you want to play, and it always has to have the same drive letter if you want to play. Also, if it's a really big game it may have longer loading times or something, but I don't think that will be a problem.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ive messed around with boot camp and partitioning a lot and as far as i know it's impossible to repartition. You have to go back to mac only, then run the assistant again and start over.

You should be able to install it on an external drive, but you have to have it connected when you want to play, and it always has to have the same drive letter if you want to play. Also, if it's a really big game it may have longer loading times or something, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks for the help.

To install it on an ext drive what would I need to do? What does the drive letter mean? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT
You can go into Mac and delete the Windows Partition making the Mac partition full again. Then you go back and start over and remake the partition to 20GB or whatever size you want and re-install Windows. I've done it before and it worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The drive letter in windows is like C: for the windows drive and A: for the floppy drive (that isnt there), your external drive will also get one (E: or something). If it changes for some reason after you unplug and reattach or restart your computer, which will only happen if you do something to your other partitions for example, the drive letter might change from E: or whatever to F:, and then Windows cant find your games anymore in E:. But I dont suspect it to be a problem at all.

When installing the games they will ask you where you want to copy the files. Just point it to a folder on your external drive and thats where it will end up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Would it be at all possible to install Windows entirely on an external hard drive? Or would i have to have XP on the internal HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont believe thats possible, or if it is I don't think it's easy.

Reaction score
Quick Clarification. . .

Deleting the Partition, will COMPLETELY eliminate everything from Windows XP ? It would then become 100% Mac ?

Also, I have heard conflicting reports on what the best way of deleting the partition. BootCamp vs DiskUtil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.