When I say close I MEAN close! Darn Apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
When I click the red X on a application I want it to CLOSE dang it! :)

Is there an easy way to me to change it so that this actually closes an app and I dont have to manually quit every thing I run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
some apps work that way by default, but i just close things from the dock... makes my life easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Applications don't have red Xs; windows do: it closes the window. If it bothers you that much just press cmd-Q instead of the close button.

Reaction score
Or if it freezes up, right click on the icon in the dock, then force quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
It took my a while to get used to the fact that hitting the red 'X' does not in fact quit the application. Now I typically use Cmd+Q...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Clicking an X is still manual, no?

It's just different - you're not on a wintel box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
Yeah. I'm still getting used to the fact that clicking the red doesn't actually CLOSE the program.

But what's the difference between the minimize button (yellow/orange), and the red x?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Clicking an X is still manual, no?

It's just different - you're not on a wintel box.

What does this have to do with a windows box? I have yet to come across an instance where I would have any use for that red x but closing the application. I dont always have a keyboard in reach and usually use the mouse for most things. I know you can do this. I did it on my last mac I just forgot how. I guess I will have to find it myself though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yeah. I'm still getting used to the fact that clicking the red doesn't actually CLOSE the program.

You can't close a program. You close windows. You quit programs. The terminology is important, and putting it in big letters doesn't change it.

The basic breakdown is this:

Minimize: Hide a document from view
Close: Remove a document from memory. (If it's not saved, it's gone.)
Quit: Remove the application code from memory. (The next time you open a document with that program, you'll have to wait for the application to start up again.

On the Mac, it is possible to keep a program running and ready "in the background" without actually having any windows open. This is useful for eMail clients, for example...you can leave it running, checking for mail every ten minutes or so, without a minimized window taking up space on your Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
what's the difference between the minimize button (yellow/orange), and the red x?
The Red button closes it.
The Amber button puts the application's window into the Dock.
The Green button reshapes the application's window to best fit the contents in it.

Reaction score
What does this have to do with a windows box? I have yet to come across an instance where I would have any use for that red x but closing the application. I dont always have a keyboard in reach and usually use the mouse for most things. I know you can do this. I did it on my last mac I just forgot how. I guess I will have to find it myself though.

Well if you have a mouse, but no keyboard and want to quit an application, you can always go to the application on the menu bar and click it, then at the bottom hit quit application. Or right click on the icon on the dock and hit quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4 GHz, 320 GB hard drive, 1 GB Ram
Applications don't have red Xs; windows do: it closes the window. If it bothers you that much just press cmd-Q instead of the close button.
It's really all about keyboard commands. Master those, and you'll be golden!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 2.4GHz Leopard
Yes you have a mac now. I love to master the new techniques! once mastered it will be second nature just like it was with the red x. Use the CMD+Q

good luck and enjoy the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
I dont always have a keyboard in reach and usually use the mouse for most things.

Instead of clicking the red orb, click on the application in the menu bar, and choose Quit.

Sounds like you're splitting hairs here, and may want to switch back to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Instead of clicking the red orb, click on the application in the menu bar, and choose Quit.

Sounds like you're splitting hairs here, and may want to switch back to Windows.

Nice.

It's a valid point though. Some of OSX's way of working is counter intuitive. Where's the logic in clicking a button with a '+' in it, and having the window get smaller? I've been using OSX for years and I still never really know what will happen when I click that one.

I can't really think of a circumstance where I click the red X, and don't actually want the program to exit either.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Ah yes. You are one of those "helpfull" people aren't you. this has nothing to do with windows. I just wanted to know if it was possible to make a global setting change to edit the behaviour of this one button. I guess the answer is no.

I guess I should go back to windows now since I can't do this. Yep. This is the end of my Mac experience for sure. Unfortunatly it is peoplee like you who give Macs a bad name. I find it funny though to see a person with only 25 posts already jumping on the "this isn't windows" band wagon. Would have thought it would take alittle longer then that for you to pick up the unfounded arrogance of some of the less helpfull people in the mac community.

M

MacHeadCase

Ah yes. You are one of those "helpfull" people aren't you. this has nothing to do with windows. I just wanted to know if it was possible to make a global setting change to edit the behaviour of this one button. I guess the answer is no.

I guess I should go back to windows now since I can't do this. Yep. This is the end of my Mac experience for sure. Unfortunatly it is peoplee like you who give Macs a bad name. I find it funny though to see a person with only 25 posts already jumping on the "this isn't windows" band wagon. Would have thought it would take alittle longer then that for you to pick up the unfounded arrogance of some of the less helpfull people in the mac community.

I think the red button = quitting an app is definitely a Windows culture thing.

I have used Macs for over 11 years and I have never seen closing a window means it'll quit the related program - unless it's a speciality app like some utilities - but certainly not the norm in the Mac world.

As far as I know what you are asking doesn't exist.

I would also ask people to keep their cool here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.