The Leopard Family Pack Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I have a quick question. I ordered a Family pack for myself and a single user copy for my Mom. They both came in the same box from Amazon and in my highly excited state I managed to open and install the single user copy on both my MacBook and my MacPro on accident. I think I am just going to do an archive and install on my systems using the family pack disc to make sure I comply with the EULA. I am just curious as to what the rest of you think, would you leave the computers be or would you also do an archive and install using the family pack disc?

What does it matter now? You have paid what you are supposed to pay, leave it at that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHz C2D 1GBRAM 120GBHDD Red Apple Logo. :)
Well...

I personally went TO the Apple store, picked up a copy of Mac OS X Leopard Family Pack and walked up to a Genius and told her that I was a college student living in an appt with a few other guys that owned macs and that we all wanted to split the license for the family pack so save us all a little money.

The Genius told me that this was okay since we were in the "same household."

I further inquired if the fact the the systems themselves had been purchased and registered to separate households would be an issue and was once again told that it was fine because we "lived" in the "same" household.

Not sure if I caught the Genius off guard or what-- but all I know is I got Leopard for 40 bucks!! ^_^

hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.33 GHZ Powebook 12", 1.25 Gb RAM amd 60 Gb Hard disk running Leopard
Apple, I spoke to a rep, does not mind if you make a copy for a family member whose main residence is at home (living away for university is acceptable) if you have purchased the Family version.

It copies easily enough no problems but remember it is a DL dvd so you need a dual layer dvd burner to do it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
How do they know if everyone is in the same household? Is it the honor system?

Anyway, just got leopard. It's a decent upgrade, nothing spectacular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4
Leopard and G4

I was told that leopard will not work on a Power Mac G4. Is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I was told that leopard will not work on a Power Mac G4. Is this true?
Yes and No.
Leopard System Requirements said:
* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor minimum system requirements
* 512MB of memory
* DVD drive for installation
* 9GB of available disk space
* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
* Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Question is how well it will work.
I have a 1.33 Ghz PowerPC G4 with 768 MB RAM and am not sure whether I will install Leopard as it seems to have slowed down my MacBook (2 Ghz Core 2 Duo) somewhat.

And I guess you won't be able to use Boot Camp to run Windows on a PPC ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1GHZ 1 GB sdram 40 GB HD OS X LEOPARD
My boss bought the Leopard Family Pack and we have already installed it on 3 computers, 2 of those are at our shop and the other is at my house. Supposedly the Family Pack is for 5 computers but how can they track the installations if there is no serial or any number you enter. Can I still install this on more than 5 computers? How do they know that I have installed on it on 5 computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
My boss bought the Leopard Family Pack and we have already installed it on 3 computers, 2 of those are at our shop and the other is at my house. Supposedly the Family Pack is for 5 computers but how can they track the installations if there is no serial or any number you enter. Can I still install this on more than 5 computers? How do they know that I have installed on it on 5 computer?

It's called trust. One of the reasons Apple users don't have to go through activation and registration like Windows users is that Apple treats it's users like adults. The least users can do, is pay back the compliment buy actually buying the software they're using.

This should be even more pertinent if someone is running a business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my bad man I was just asking a question, I didn't mean to offend you. soorrryyy!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Family Pack is only supposed to be used in one household. If a family member is away say at College, it's fine, but you are not supposed to let others outside your household use a license.

It's totally against the law and Apples EULA to use the Family Pack any other way and to try and use it on more than 5 machines. It makes no difference what CAN be done. I can walk into a store and steal a copy of OSX under my jacket, but it's still against the law even though I might be able to get away with it.

We here at Mac Forums totally go along with Apple's EULA and do not allow discussion about breaking either the EULA or the law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, like I stated before I was just asking a question. Sit down and count to 10, relax. I didn't know anyone was gonna take such an offense on such a small question. If I hurt your feelings by asking the question I apologize, but just take a chill pill!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You did not offend me in the least. I answered your question and pointed out the forum rules as I am supposed to as a moderator here when something being discussed is against the rules here. You asked a question, I answered it. You can not legally install it on more than 5 systems nor outside a family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. thank you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz

In my country there is an organization that checks companies for legal software usage in businesses
It's governmental so they can just come by whenever they want
That's why it's always better to buy the software legally in a company
Tough I honestly would understand that some people use like 6 Computers except of 5
Because some times it must be tempting, well I have one mac(A macbook) so it's not me

Reaction score
I bought an Ibook off Ebay with a copy of the family pack version on it hence no disk. It works great but I don't have a disk for re-install if needed can I make a copy from my hard drive? I don't have a problem buying a copy but I would have to re-install correct. Newbie here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Unfortunately thats just an example of a problem with buying computers from eBay - No CD. I don't think it would be considered "legal" to make a copy from your hard-drive (which is quite very annoying) so I think you would have to buy a copy (even though you would be making a copy for a perfectly good reason) :(.

Reaction score
hi i just bought a new hard drive would i be able to install leopard on the same computer? with a new hard drive?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi i just bought a new hard drive would i be able to install leopard on the same computer? with a new hard drive?

Just to be sure I understand you, you have a Mac and you are replacing the hard drive with a new one. If so, put in the OSX DVD that came with your Mac in the drive and hold down C. Use the Disk Utility from the tools menu to format the new drive, then continue on with the install.

As long as it's the same machine but with a new hard drive, sure, no issues at all.

Did your old drive die or are you just upgrading to a larger drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.