The Leopard Family Pack Thread

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my school isn't one of them. I'm still stuck with the $119 price either way :(

It's not about technical feasibility, it's about legalities. Like I said earlier, you can technically do whatever you want with your five licenses as there is no way Apple can stop you. But it's still a violation of the EULA, and discussing anything that is a violation of the EULA is against forum rule #4. So stop getting all bent out of shape about the technicalities because we all know what you can or can not do with the licenses.

It is not, however, a violation of my sense of morality, and if I pay my own money that I have earned, on a family pack, then I shall take my computer wherever I wish to, and not be dictated to in such an unreasonable manner, when Apple have already had my payment. This is moral mind games.

I like Apple as a company, on the whole, but just because a corporation decides to invent their own version of what is right and what is wrong, doesn't mean that I agree. If I pay MY money, I make MY choices. Period.

As it happens, I don't own a family pack, nor have any need to do so, but I am simply telling you the way that it is with me as a person; I am not immoral or facecious in any way as a person, but I refuse to be dictated to, when the only other alternative is, in effect, to get ripped off!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
because a corporation decides to invent their own version of what is right and what is wrong, doesn't mean that I agree. If I pay MY money, I make MY choices. Period.
True, you make your own choices. Your personal morals aren't in question here. The legality of choices are the matter here.

When a company's Intellectual Property copyright is the matter, then yes they have full say on what can and cannot be done with it (yes Apple's software copyrighted).
As odd as it sounds, you paid money for the privilege of using something owned by another party, not the freedom to decide how they dictate the proper use of their copyright.

If you or anyone feels they are being "ripped off" by this, then you are free to feel that way. It doesn't change the fact that violating a EULA when copyrighted material in involved is illegal. If you want to change things, then talk to your elected officials.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I am not immoral or facecious in any way as a person, but I refuse to be dictated to, when the only other alternative is, in effect, to get ripped off!.

I think you mean amoral, not immoral; facetious, not facecious. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
Unfortunately, my school isn't one of them. I'm still stuck with the $119 price either way :(

Shoot my campus bookstore doesn't even SELL OS (MS or MAC), only Apps.

Sad thing is I really needed the laptop and had been struggling to get my articles and reports in on time and my notes typed up at home, so I ordered it this month... on the 3rd.

I'm betting Apple won't offer me a courtesy discount.
I will probably stay tiger for a while (year or two) if not. I can't drop $120 on a new OS 3 weeks after spending $1400 on a laptop.

amoral: having no moral precepts or concept of right or wrong... maybe Charles Manson...

immoral, knowing the difference between right and wrong and choosing to do wrong. inspires excuses and rationalization when wrong doing is pointed out.

Reaction score
Since you guys all live in different rooms, you don't legally qualify for the Family Pack. But that doesn't mean you can't technically do it anyway.

I know it's cheaper to split the cost of the Family Pack, especially in light of the fact that the educational discount is pitiful. But can you decide which one of you guys gets to keep the single disc that the Family Pack comes with? This is especially more important when you guys move into separate buildings. So save yourself some headache and squabbling and just do it the legal way and get your own copies. I know that I wouldn't want to deal with that sort of hassle.

Virtual Rep Kash. I would be more than happy to pay the money for a single license than have to go through deciding who keeps the disc and who installs it first and so on.... Great post Kash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Shoot my campus bookstore doesn't even SELL OS (MS or MAC), only Apps.

Sad thing is I really needed the laptop and had been struggling to get my articles and reports in on time and my notes typed up at home, so I ordered it this month... on the 3rd.

I'm betting Apple won't offer me a courtesy discount.
I will probably stay tiger for a while (year or two) if not. I can't drop $120 on a new OS 3 weeks after spending $1400 on a laptop.

If you bought a Mac as of October 1, you are entitled to a free copy of Leopard. All you have to do is pay $9.95 for shipping.

It's called the OS X Up-to-Date Program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There is not one person on this planet, who is going to tell me that I can't use 1/5th of the Family Pack licence, on MY machine, in a different location. NOONE. If I am paid up, then I shall proceed with a clear conscience; period.

This is BS - do they have tracking software so they know your PHYSICAL LOCATION?. What if you take your MacBook with you on a trip, are you gonna erase the OS just to agree with EULA? **LOL!!**. Don't be stupid, you people need to think about this a LOT LOT more.

It's about permanent address, not temporary location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
As it happens, I don't own a family pack, nor have any need to do so, but I am simply telling you the way that it is with me as a person; I am not immoral or facecious in any way as a person, but I refuse to be dictated to, when the only other alternative is, in effect, to get ripped off!.

You do have an option...don't buy the software. You have to agree to the license to install it. If you don't agree, don't install it and return it.

You do not have the moral option to ignore or follow the license, you have an obligation to do so if you choose to install the software. You don't "own" the software, you own a "license" to use it in the manner defined in the EULA.

And IMHO, yes you are immoral if you choose to agree to a license and then ignore what you agreed to. It's the same as lying to someone.

Reaction score
I do believe though, that if Apple start using product keys for their OS they would triple their profits.

K, so preety much, if you can use a liscence many times? why does an OS asks for it?

someone who does illegal pirating will the the wrong thing, and a straight person will do the right now, so whats the point of liscence? it all comes to either the person is honest or dishonest.

i belive the new cd of creed is not free, but you pay what you want for it. so apple should be that way kinda.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I do believe though, that if Apple start using product keys for their OS they would triple their profits.

K, so preety much, if you can use a liscence many times? why does an OS asks for it?

someone who does illegal pirating will the the wrong thing, and a straight person will do the right now, so whats the point of liscence? it all comes to either the person is honest or dishonest.

i belive the new cd of creed is not free, but you pay what you want for it. so apple should be that way kinda.

No, profits would not triple. You know why? Because the vast majority of OS X "sales" are the result of people buying new Macs. There aren't as many people as you think buying retail copies of OS X, at least not on the scale of those buying Windows (not comparing overall numbers, but rather percentages).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

I like Creed. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

I would add that Creed's business plan probably doesn't use the same "donationware" strategy for concert ticket sales, merchandise, logos, etc. I'd be surprised if a technology company like Apple, MICROSOFT, or IBM would be in business long of they released software (backed by hundreds of thousands of man-hours of developement) as donationware. IMHO
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
So my friends and I are all mac junkies. Between us 3 we have 5 macs. Being that the family pack of Leopard has 5 licenses we figured we could split the cost of the family pack and get Leopard for pretty cheap. We're kind of weary though as there could be some catch that could end up screwing us over. Is there any reason why this plan won't work?

Thanks!
Scott

I too am a Mac junkie...5 macs just for me, myself & I....LOL:Oops:

Reaction score

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Just installed Leopard...pretty sweet...The dock is awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
Well I just purchased and installed Leopard on my iMac, loving it. I did purchase the single license and I read countless posts on the whole debate about the installation on multiple machines and such. I stand by Apple's side in supporting the Family pack license price even though technically possible to install a Single license on multiple machines.

I currently own an iMac and a MacBook. I purchased Leopard (single license) strictly for my iMac, turned out that I really liked the upgrade, now I want to purchase an additional license for my MacBook. My question is this; Will I have to purchase an additional single license at $129 or would it be possible to pay the difference of the family pack which would be $70?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I have a quick question. I ordered a Family pack for myself and a single user copy for my Mom. They both came in the same box from Amazon and in my highly excited state I managed to open and install the single user copy on both my MacBook and my MacPro on accident. I think I am just going to do an archive and install on my systems using the family pack disc to make sure I comply with the EULA. I am just curious as to what the rest of you think, would you leave the computers be or would you also do an archive and install using the family pack disc?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just ordered a 5 License copy of OSX Leopard from Amazon. The Single License copy I got to be sure it would work on certain machines here at the house will be sold.

If Apple ever put Activation on OSX, I for one would not use it. Too much hassle and like was said more people get OSX with New Macs than off the shelf except for the people like me with older Macs. Even the Serial Number would bother me, but not like Activation. Way too much trouble at least the way Microsoft does it. On the PC I am a big Upgrader and I get SICK and TIRED of always having to call for a new LONG key and wait.

With Windows I can understand some kind of protection as Microsoft does not make PC's and hence more people need copies of it unless they get a HP, Dell or whatever, but there has to be a better way than the way they now do it.

I hope Apple keeps it just the way it is.

Reaction score
If Apple every put Activation on OSX, I for one would not use it.

Activation is one of the KEY reasons I moved to Apple from Windows. All activation does is keep the honest people honest. Software pirates will always go to great lengths to crack the activation schemes/codes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.