The Leopard Family Pack Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Hmm, that doesn't make sense PBG4. They live at home, where the rest of the family lives, but during school, they reside on campus. That doesn't make any sense why they would do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi
Now completely confused.

Put simply.

If I buy a family license for Leopard can I install it on my nieces MacPro laptop after installing it on my Imac?
Thanks
~Sid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How is this difficult to understand? If you buy a Family Pack, you can only install it on computers within the SAME household. It doesn't matter if you're family or not, the licenses have to stay within a house/apartment. You can't buy a Family Pack and give two of them to your friends/family across town. At least not legally.

If you don't care about legality, then go ahead and do whatever you want.

Reaction score
Back on topic: it is possible - very VERY easily, to make a backup archive of retail install/individual Machine-specific restore DVDs, as I have copies of Tiger retail AND copies of my Mac Mini restore DVD set.

As for the for the people online who are so-called Mac "experts", but didn't seem to be able to figure out how to make a clone of the restore DVDs which INCLUDED the AHT (Apple Hardware Test) partition, I have this to say:

You Sirs, are idiots, not professionals. You just use DU and make a clone to a *.CDR disc image, NOT *.DMG!.

Just make sure ya own the originals, and ONLY bring the original discs out on special occasions... such as... the LOSS of the *COPY* that you use, day to day.

NEVER use the original restore DVDs to restore - make an archive copy, and use THOSE. Trust me, you will be crying into your breakfast, lunch AND dinner, if you don't.

Personally, I don't like thieves and certainly don't have any respect for them.

Just a question; if I go to an art gallery, and happen to have an EXCEPTIONALLY good photographic memory, and walk away having remembered (copied in my mind) the Mona Lisa, have I committed "theft" or broken copyright law?. lol.

Uncanny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Back on topic: it is possible - very VERY easily, to make a backup archive of retail install/individual Machine-specific restore DVDs, as I have copies of Tiger retail AND copies of my Mac Mini restore DVD set.

As for the for the people online who are so-called Mac "experts", but didn't seem to be able to figure out how to make a clone of the restore DVDs which INCLUDED the AHT (Apple Hardware Test) partition, I have this to say:

You Sirs, are idiots, not professionals. You just use DU and make a clone to a *.CDR disc image, NOT *.DMG!.

Just make sure ya own the originals, and ONLY bring the original discs out on special occasions... such as... the LOSS of the *COPY* that you use, day to day.

NEVER use the original restore DVDs to restore - make an archive copy, and use THOSE. Trust me, you will be crying into your breakfast, lunch AND dinner, if you don't.

I had refrained from saying how to do it as I was warned off by our newest mediator (which is fine!) so merely discussed the legality. To be honest I NEVER use original discs beyond making backups and it is irresponsible for companies like Apple to protect them to stop users doing so. (it is legal in the uk no matter what the software licence says - in the US most licences allow you to anyway as I checked Apple and Adobe's) There are several ways to duplicate the install disc, I do it a different way, but I am sure you cannot say how on here!

Reaction score
I had refrained from saying how to do it as I was warned off by our newest mediator (which is fine!) so merely discussed the legality. To be honest I NEVER use original discs beyond making backups and it is irresponsible for companies like Apple to protect them to stop users doing so. (it is legal in the uk no matter what the software licence says - in the US most licences allow you to anyway as I checked Apple and Adobe's) There are several ways to duplicate the install disc, I do it a different way, but I am sure you cannot say how on here!

Good old Google ;). You just stick the DVDs face down under a photocopier, press the green button, Et Voila - copied!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Actually, that last clause varies based on the product.

. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.
That's from the Panther/Tiger Family Pack EULA.
The official Leopard EULA hasn't been posted yet at apple.com/legal. The initial one that I posted was from the iLife '08 FP, which is obviously quite different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

This is the seventh time I've seen this information posted. Can you people PLEASE use the search button?

Reaction score
Family Pack for College Students

Ive got 5 friends including myself who all want the new Leopard. Can we purchase the family pack and all be able to install it on out computers if we all live on campus? We all have the same address except for our different room numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: All recent threads dealing with OS X Family Pack issues have been merged into one thread.
Please use this thread for continued discussion of any inquiries related to the OS X Family Pack.

New threads created on this topic may be either merged with this one or deleted with or without notice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Come on... Just do what's morally right, for God's sake. Pay for what you want to use and use it in accordance with the argeement that comes along with what you bought. Not a difficult concept to grasp really. Apply a bit of common sense. I know, let's re-tread this topic for a reaallly long time. Thanks sure to help! LOL

Reaction score
the reason i ask is because when you are asked to type in personal information why cant each of us put the schools address? We all live in the same building. Sounds like we all are a family to me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you guys all live in different rooms, you don't legally qualify for the Family Pack. But that doesn't mean you can't technically do it anyway.

I know it's cheaper to split the cost of the Family Pack, especially in light of the fact that the educational discount is pitiful. But can you decide which one of you guys gets to keep the single disc that the Family Pack comes with? This is especially more important when you guys move into separate buildings. So save yourself some headache and squabbling and just do it the legal way and get your own copies. I know that I wouldn't want to deal with that sort of hassle.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
+1 virtual Kash - now that's a great post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the reason i ask is because when you are asked to type in personal information why cant each of us put the schools address? We all live in the same building. Sounds like we all are a family to me

Because the school is not your permanent address. You do not reside at the same permanent address. Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's cheaper to split the cost of the Family Pack, especially in light of the fact that the educational discount is pitiful.

Actually the edu discount only sucks online. Many university bookstores are selling it at the usual edu discount price (ie $69 for single license, etc.).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
just out of pure curiosity. if anyone knows. i was wondering how the disc knows how many computers i'm installing the OS on. especially if they aren't all connected to the internet. like, one i have to do an fresh install using that disc again, wouldn't they think it's another computer? just curious how they know...

just so there are no legal questions raised. i only own one mac and plan to get (already pre-ordered) the single license leopard for no one but myself to use.

Reaction score
There is not one person on this planet, who is going to tell me that I can't use 1/5th of the Family Pack licence, on MY machine, in a different location. NOONE. If I am paid up, then I shall proceed with a clear conscience; period.

This is BS - do they have tracking software so they know your PHYSICAL LOCATION?. What if you take your MacBook with you on a trip, are you gonna erase the OS just to agree with EULA? **LOL!!**. Don't be stupid, you people need to think about this a LOT LOT more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually the edu discount only sucks online. Many university bookstores are selling it at the usual edu discount price (ie $69 for single license, etc.).

Unfortunately, my school isn't one of them. I'm still stuck with the $119 price either way :(

There is not one person on this planet, who is going to tell me that I can't use 1/5th of the Family Pack licence, on MY machine, in a different location. NOONE. If I am paid up, then I shall proceed with a clear conscience; period.

This is BS - do they have tracking software so they know your PHYSICAL LOCATION?. What if you take your MacBook with you on a trip, are you gonna erase the OS just to agree with EULA? **LOL!!**. Don't be stupid, you people need to think about this a LOT LOT more.

It's not about technical feasibility, it's about legalities. Like I said earlier, you can technically do whatever you want with your five licenses as there is no way Apple can stop you. But it's still a violation of the EULA, and discussing anything that is a violation of the EULA is against forum rule #4. So stop getting all bent out of shape about the technicalities because we all know what you can or can not do with the licenses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.