EFI Firmware 1.1 toasted my logic board!

Reaction score
Hi all

First: I´m not that great at english, so sorry in advance.

This post is intended as a warning to other macbook-owners who are experiencing the same problems as I am. Furthermore i would like som hints and advice from seasoned mac-gurus, who might help my dreadfull situation. Now for the story:

My macbook has random shutdown syndrom. I expect you are all familiar with this problem. So Googling the problem i found that Mac has released an official patch witch corrects this problem. My OS needed updating, and when using softwareupdate i found i needed the abovementioned firmware. I read about it and found it to be usefull. When installing the firmware you need to restart in a certain matter. During restart my Mac shutdown and when i started it up the screen didn´t come on.

I contacted the retailer who send it to be repaired. The message from the repairshop was; logic board burnt of. Estimated price: 1850 USD. The retailer didn´t care for my explanation about the installation process.

Now i have a Mac that dosn´t work and all because of me trying to cure a problem that the computer came with.

As i see my options i can do one of the following:
-call apple hotline at try to convince the it´s their fault.
-try and buy a logic board online and find an unauthorized repairshop
-find another place to get repairs (ddtservice.com perhaps?)

Now i´ve rambled for long enough. If anybody can help me or has any suggestions it would be deeply appriciated, as i´m no Mac-wizz myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you still under warranty? If so definitely contact Apple, they'll fix it for you for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I did the firmware update and no problems.

OP
U
Reaction score
Unfortunatly i´m no longer under warrenty as such. In Denmark warrenty i granted for a year. After that you have a year of complainig (don´t know th term in english). This means the retailer (producent) must repair any error that has existed for the entire lifetime of the produkt => if the error existed when i bought the computer, it is to be fixed. The problem though is; i have to prove that this is the case. I don´t see any way of dooing this so if i contact apple i must hope they belive my story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunatly i´m no longer under warrenty as such. In Denmark warrenty i granted for a year. After that you have a year of complainig (don´t know th term in english). This means the retailer (producent) must repair any error that has existed for the entire lifetime of the produkt => if the error existed when i bought the computer, it is to be fixed. The problem though is; i have to prove that this is the case. I don´t see any way of dooing this so if i contact apple i must hope they belive my story.
Yeah, the law is the same here in Germany.

I'd definitely get in touch with Apple and see what they can do... I assume you've tried all the usual tricks? (reset PMU, PRAM etc?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If this has happened since day one, you've been on the phone with Apple or whoever your local reseller is. You. Can submit, or try to, submit phone records as proof that you've been try to fix this problem.
If this firmware update is the first time you've done anything for you problem, then you are out of luck. I purchased a Macbook a year ago and for the 3 months I had it, there were a few firmware updates. I never had a problem though.
Maybe you can submit Apple documention that says there is a known issue and just use that.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thank you for you´re inputs and help. This gives me a place to start.

Yeah, the law is the same here in Germany.

I'd definitely get in touch with Apple and see what they can do... I assume you've tried all the usual tricks? (reset PMU, PRAM etc?)

I think i´ll try Apple then. Fingers crossed i get a nice service-person:Oops:

Usual triks?? i´m not very familiar with mac, as i´ve had pc up to this point. Any help on these tricks you specify?

If this has happened since day one, you've been on the phone with Apple or whoever your local reseller is. You. Can submit, or try to, submit phone records as proof that you've been try to fix this problem.
If this firmware update is the first time you've done anything for you problem, then you are out of luck.

The problem started approximatly 6 months after purchase and got progressionally worse up to the state where the computer shut off all the time. So no phonerecords.

Hope you´re not right about my luck:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give this a try:
MacBook, MacBook Pro

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
Press the Power button to restart the computer.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.