• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need VHS conver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
Hello everyone, I am relatively new to the Mac world. I purchased my first one (Macbook) for school in Febuary and recently purchased an aluminum iMac for my anniversery (wife got an iPhone ;) ).

One of the reasons for getting the desktop is to begin converting our substantial VHS collections to DV. I alone have probably a few dozen tapes of rally footage i have recorded from Speedvision in the last several years. Most of which is recorded in the higher quality SP setting.

I have done some research utilizing posts by others here with similar goals. so my brief for assistance is this:

1. Simplistic interface to iMac
2. Efficient conversion to digital file
3. Ability to edit out commercials <--- BIG PLUS HERE!
3. Readily convertable format( i.e. MPEG-->?) this means conv. to iPod/iPhone/etc.
4. Realistic compression size
5. Ability to burn to DVD, whether in computer format or DVD video WITHOUT buy/downloading/installing yet another program
6. As-good-as-i-can-get video quality
Basically, I don't want to spend a fortune here, I'm not looking to start a video editing business, and I DON'T want to clutter my desk up again after getting things off of it and adorning it with the new computer.

I fell in love with the Apple methos of simplicity and ease of use. And, for the most part, have been pleasently rewarded. I have read good AND bad things regarding Apple's own Quicktime Pro. I want to have GOOD/EXCELLENT video quality. I am willing to take longer to encode things for better end results, not just in watching again on the computer ( I sprung for the 24" screen) but should I want to drop the 2000 Rallye De Portugal down on DVD for a friend's birthday, he/she can watch it on their basic DVD player from Wal-Mart.

I have no problem spending the proper money where it needs to be spent. (i.e. BIG extr HDD etc.) But I don't want to spend a fortune right off the bat.
Did I mention ease of use? ;D

So far I have come up with a few things here:
- EyeTV makes 2 hardware options ($50 diff) and tout ease-of-use.
- Visual Hub seems to be the best all-around converting program
- reportedly QT Pro is best for image quality & intigration to OSX. Plus added benefit of Apple support
- supposedly the order for quality is: S Video>component video>coaxial (correct?)

Sorry for the big write up, but my wife would love it if I would condense not only my tapes, but also hers. I can live with converting to files now, and worrying about burning later. I just want good/great quality and an interface, ease/efficiency of use that won't make me want to shoot myself in the face. Hey, maybe even be fun!:)

Thanks to all who even dared read this far! I really like the Mac community by&large. I really feel at home here.

Sincerely,

Christian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW the Elgato Systems Eye TV Hybrid seems like a good idea, especially since I might be able to hook up the PS2 and finish my Gran Turismo 4 game! (bought the Logitech Wheel- which fits securely to the desk!)

;D

People in this forum keep mentioning Canopus... only $70 more than the Eye TVPlus. But still $70.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=CD8A246&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/video_devices&nplm=TK817LL/A

how in the world do I use the script text/URL trick? Anyway, take a good look at user reviews for this device. most are pretty positive, esp. the "pro" types.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yeah the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid can help you do this.
I have one and use it for the same purpose.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you have a miniDV Camcorder with a firewire port, you should be able to use it as a bridge. Between the VCR and the MacBook, in order to get your video on to the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I bought a nifty little device at CompUSA called the Neuros Mpeg4 Recorder. It connects to anything that outputs through RCA (Yellow Red White) cables, such as a VCR. Then it has an output to the TV. THe interface while not completely intuitive, is easy enough. You can use SD MMC memory cards to record to, then a card reader to get the mp4 fiile to your mac. I suggest a 2GB SD card. This gives about 21/2 hours of recording at Highest quality.

Altogether, Neuros and SD Card $150.

You should give it a look, I'm very pleased. I already had a 1GB SD Card so I get about 80 minutes from it, and then just switch to the 2 GB card while I download those files.

Visual Hub is completely worth the money, but these file are already in mp4 format which is editable in iMovie, so you may not need it.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Earlier this year I used my EyeTV Hybrid with decent results. If your just removing ads, then EyeTV makes that easy enough. The EyeTV software has plenty of options to export your content. It even can create iDVD projects from what I see.

rman had a somewhat incomplete explanation. This only matters to you if you have a firewire capable DV camera and it has the ability to record from another device via RCA/SVideo inputs and audio.

First is the obvious. You could transfer you VHS content to a tape on the camera and then hook the camera up to your Mac and import into iMovie where you can edit as you please. I suppost if you are using iMovie 08, then the fireware part of the camera isn't a requirement.

Second, some DV cameras have had the ability to bridge the input to the camera to the firewire output so you could directly record without the requirement of first recording the input. This would allow you play your tapes directly into iMovie. This is similar to some of the specialty boxes you can buy.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a nifty little device at CompUSA called the Neuros Mpeg4 Recorder. It connects to anything that outputs through RCA (Yellow Red White) cables, such as a VCR. Then it has an output to the TV. THe interface while not completely intuitive, is easy enough. You can use SD MMC memory cards to record to, then a card reader to get the mp4 fiile to your mac. I suggest a 2GB SD card. This gives about 21/2 hours of recording at Highest quality.

Altogether, Neuros and SD Card $150.

You should give it a look, I'm very pleased. I already had a 1GB SD Card so I get about 80 minutes from it, and then just switch to the 2 GB card while I download those files.

Visual Hub is completely worth the money, but these file are already in mp4 format which is editable in iMovie, so you may not need it.

Best,

Brian

Just what is "best quality" referring to?? resolution? Size? (noob here:Oops: )

Is this what you are referring to?

1b71678a-22fc-48c1-bb4a-cfc0331db702.gif

I can't find out if it does direct conversion to MPEG 4 or to digital video then MPEG 4. the former seems to be the case.

Well, that is definately a viable alternative... however, what will happen to the image quality? I don't mind a VHS tape taking up lots of HD space. I plane on getting a good set of backup drives anyway. Most of these tapes are irreplacable. I spent a lot of time recording the hay day of rally coverage in this country until Fox took over Speedvision!! I just want primo image quality to start, then worry about exporting to other devices (iPod, iPhone etc.)

The honest choice seems to be between the EyeTV 250 Plus and the Hybrid. Then there's this "Canobus" thing... but I think way more expensive. As I mentioned in another thread, I am concerned with processor tax on the Hybrid.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose I could get the device from CompUSA and try it. At least I can take it back if dissatisfied. I like the idea of readily converting the files to MPEG 4. I just don't mind paying for quality...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
That's exactly what I got, and it goes directly to .mp4. The image quality isn't really effected at all from what I can tell. Remember you are going from a 640 x 480 source in VHS form anyway...maybe 720 x 576, but not much difference there.

It will record in 640x480 to the .mp4. I've looked at them on my 24" iMac, and it looks as you would expect. If you try to go full screen it will pixelate, but when you display it back on a TV, it looks fine.

Also, you can edit the files with iMovie. Just cut out the commercials, and export as mp4 again. Use the expert settings for Quicktime, select mp4, 640x480, and a descent bit rate.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
I suppose I could get the device from CompUSA and try it. At least I can take it back if dissatisfied. I like the idea of readily converting the files to MPEG 4. I just don't mind paying for quality...
iRecord Pro does the same thing for any media at all. It can take VHS, DVD, TV, anything with an RCA or component out, and convert it to mp4 using H.264. It's full D1 too, so you're getting 720x480. Also records directly to all iPhones, iPods, and a bunch of other stuff. You really ought to check it out; I think it suits your needs perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.