Outlook 2007 -----> Entourage/Mail/Something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
I have as it says, Outlook 2007 and want to import my email onto the Mac computer. I have read quite a few ways to do it, however they seem somewhat round about.

What is the best way to do this? I don't think mail is going to cut it so the next alternative is Entourage. However, is there a "universal" format that I can put this stuff in so I can import it into either mail or Entourage or does each one have it's own format?

Help?

This is really the only thing holding me back. Everything else I am good on. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
If you want to continue using Outlook on, you have couple of options viz. use bootcamp/ virtual machines to run windows on MAC and have all your windows apps running on that or if you dont want to invest in windows OS license then go for crossover which emulates windows Os so that windows based apps can be run. However I am not sure if it supports Office 2007.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah, I don't want to keep using Outlook. I switched to a Mac for a reason :)

Just want to know how to get my Outlook email over to my Mac.

Reaction score
I came across this method on another site, haven't tried it myself..

IMAP accounts can be set up with FastMail or FuseMail for example

http://www.fastmail.fm/

http://www.fusemail.com/

he best way I have found to transfer Outlook mail to another mail app (on a Mac or Windows PC) is to use an IMAP account as a temporary transfer conduit.

1) Add an IMAP account to Outlook.
2) Select a mailbox/folder in Outlook, 'Select All' messages, and drag them to a mail folder in the IMAP account.
3) Wait. ;-) Depending how large a mailbox you have, this could take a while.
4) Add the same IMAP account details to the destination machine's mail client (For that MacBook, Apple's Mail.app is solid, beautiful, has a very effective spam filter, and ties in nicely with other OS features).
5) 'Get Mail' on the destination machine and watch as the message data on the IMAP server is synced.
6) Organize the imported mail into folders/subdirectories as you wish.

I have as it says, Outlook 2007 and want to import my email onto the Mac computer. I have read quite a few ways to do it, however they seem somewhat round about.

What is the best way to do this? I don't think mail is going to cut it so the next alternative is Entourage. However, is there a "universal" format that I can put this stuff in so I can import it into either mail or Entourage or does each one have it's own format?

Help?

This is really the only thing holding me back. Everything else I am good on. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
As naftalim stated, the answer to all the home e-mail users problems is IMAP. IMAP works great in the stock mail application that comes with your new Mac.

Outlook 2007 can also use IMAP, just nobody ever does for some reason. Probably because the paradigm for so long has been to have the e-mail "on your computer" in .PST files. IMAP keeps it on a server where it belongs.

If you are thinking of just moving a personal folder (*.PST file in outlook) over to a Mac mail client, good luck. I have done it for a large publisher as an IT consultant and they were not happy with the results and we tried numerous applications to do it. We ended up just having their exchange mailbox storage limits increased and migrated their .PST files back on to the exchange server which is the same concept behind using IMAP with your ISP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There is a software called outlook to mac (http://www.littlemachines.com/)

But be prepared to work a bit especially if like me you had lots of folders and subfolders... When you use this software, everything comes in a file ready to be imported in mail and contacts. My only complained are that each sub folder is now a folder under the mailbox (exemple of sub folder finance under home you will get on folder home and one folder home_finance). Also, coming from french, all the accent character where changed in the transfer, I had to changed them back manually.

Basically, it's a good software to get you a headstart but you still have lots of manual adjustment to be completely up and running in mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Actually this is easy, I did it.

Load up Thunderbird on your PC, and import all your mail into that from Outlook. Should be easy and take a few minutes, because the Open Source community realised people may actually want to move away from Outlook.

Then, find the file with your mail in it... usually a huge file call 'mail' in your mozilla folder (I can't remember exactly where in Windows) and copy it to your Mac. Add the extension ".mbox" (without the quotes) to it and import it into Apple Mail. From there you can import it again to Entourage.

I know that must sound like a pain, but its actually quick, easy, free, and you'll even keep your folders in the process.

Be sure to upgrade to Office 2008 as soon as it comes out (for free), because Entourage can be a little sluggish on Intel Macs.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually this is easy, I did it.

Load up Thunderbird on your PC, and import all your mail into that from Outlook. Should be easy and take a few minutes, because the Open Source community realised people may actually want to move away from Outlook.

Then, find the file with your mail in it... usually a huge file call 'mail' in your mozilla folder (I can't remember exactly where in Windows) and copy it to your Mac. Add the extension ".mbox" (without the quotes) to it and import it into Apple Mail. From there you can import it again to Entourage.

I know that must sound like a pain, but its actually quick, easy, free, and you'll even keep your folders in the process.

Be sure to upgrade to Office 2008 as soon as it comes out (for free), because Entourage can be a little sluggish on Intel Macs.

Thank you. I read about this "way" of moving things over and I will give it a try tonight.

As for Entourage - I think that is by far the best client for Mac right now.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, thank you all :)

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far this is a failure. It works somewhat, but not completely. I imported all my Outlook stuff into Thunderbird.

From there, I copied the entire MAIL folder to my usb drive. Plugged it into the Mac. I opened Mail and went to import and chose mozilla.

I can select the "folders" I want and proceede to import. It works one of two ways -

1 - If I select them all - Mail crashes and will continue to do this.

2 - All but the largest files (my inbox and sent folders) it imports fine, however it only imports 1 email per folder. Which is incorrect as each folder has at least 60-100 emails in it.

What am I missing?

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, figured it out. I rename the files that DO NOT have an extension - to - *.mbox. Once that is compete, I can just drag and drop them directly into Entourage.

So far so good, the sent folder went fairly quickly

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, all is done and all is working perfectly! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
If you want to continue using Outlook on, you have couple of options viz. use bootcamp/ virtual machines to run windows on MAC and have all your windows apps running on that or if you dont want to invest in windows OS license then go for crossover which emulates windows Os so that windows based apps can be run. However I am not sure if it supports Office 2007.

Office 2007 does not on Crossover per the Codeweavers website.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, glad to hear it.

Thanks, a little tricky but were golden. Now the real question is - how hard is it to go from Entourage back to oh.. Thunderbird or Outlook? Lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I was going through this for tha past few months. I decided to just sticking with Entourage till Jan '08. Then Office 2007(8) for mac will be out. I used Outlook '07 and really like it. i like the fact that categories are stored on Exchange. To bad those categories don't sync with Entourage '04.

If you own a URL, and you have the mail and the PIM data. Just rent and Exchange server for a few months till you decide. Then you can sync all your data, try out different programs all at once, and everything is safe. I use www.themessagecenter.com. I think it's $9 a month with no set-up.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
I am thinking of trying 02m. Has anyone had any experience with it? I tried the Thunderbird method but the problem was that the timestamps were removed.

Does O2M preserve timestamps?

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not and did not because I heard stories about it not keeping the file/folder structure of the emails. For instance if you have the inbox and several other inboxes below it it would just lump it all together.

As far as time stamps, what is the issue? I did Outlook 2007 ---> Thunderbird ---> Entourage. All my dates are correct from what I can see. I have over 10,000 emails so I did not check them all - however everyone I have seen thus far is fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.