Round plastic, size of a CD/DVD ejected from Superdrive :o

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
Now this is weird and freaky....

Insert a DVD, using Toast, I burn some files, when I eject, I get more than the DVD, not sure how to explain it, but if you picture a transparent CD/DVD label, your not far off.... it came out aligned perfectly with the DVD, I wonder if it was sat at the top of the drive interior, possibly preventing the top of the disc being scratched? But there is no sign of glue being used to hold it.....

Has this happened to anyone else? I've tested the drive thoroughly, and it sounds fine, works fine.....

Reaction score
This clear round unwriteable faux disc is sometimes found uppermost on the spindle in a new pack of DVDs/CDs and should be discarded ...

I think you failed to notice it ( it's not hard to do this ) and placed both it and the first disc into your drive. As the discs are face down on the spindle, putting both in the drive at the same time wouldn't affect the burn but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Reaction score
hahaha thats kinda funny. i havent heard of someone doing that. good thing that it came all at the sametime.

-jeremi

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have seen it done accidently on Tray loading drives but never in a Slot load. You are very lucky it came out and did not cause damage. I am glad for you it did come out but in the future, BE careful!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've always noticed them, as I have use for them and remove them straightaway, not to mention that this pack did not come with one, and I always leave the top discs unused after it has been opened, so that only 1 disc collects dust, as I have a habit of using the cakebox lid to store stuff in :| :)

regardless, you should try putting that transparent disc along with a normal CD/DVD into the drive, I think you will find that it does not fit.... when I said think of a label, I meant that literally, it was a piece of floppy plastic no thicker than that of a sheet of paper, refer to above regarding it to coming with spindle of disc. refer to above, if it did come with the spindle, then if I had not noticed it when I opened it, it should still be attached to the top disc collecting dust, and that disc has an impressive amount of dust ;) it also has feintish streaks, running across it, all in the same direction.

DSC0091.JPG

ah well, all is still well, so no point worrying about it, if it fails, then phone Apple and deny all knowledge ;) :D

@ blakbook - neither have I, as the thick transparent disc and the actual disc does not physical fit into the MBP drive, the collective thickness is too thick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
@ blakbook - neither have I, as the thick transparent disc and the actual disc does not physical fit into the MBP drive, the collective thickness is too thick.

They obviously fit (the thin piece and the disc) because you said they came out together perfectly aligned. If they can come out together they can go in together. Unless my logic is just off....

Maybe the company instead of using a hard plastic protective disc used that instead. You also said yourself it was missing the standard hard plastic one.

Weird though!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They obviously fit (the thin piece and the disc) because you said they came out together perfectly aligned. If they can come out together they can go in together. Unless my logic is just off....

Maybe the company instead of using a hard plastic protective disc used that instead. You also said yourself it was missing the standard hard plastic one.

Weird though!

I was obviously referring to putting two of the thick transparent discs together into the drive, and not a normal disc plus that weird thing :)

yes it is weird, the only logical explanation I can think of right now, after checking another pack of same discs, and each disc inside, is that the bit of plastic probably did come from that pack, but was not suppose to be there :| as the other pack had two of the foam rings, and the usual disc at the very bottom.

ah well, I guess we should all be careful about using cheapo discs :| :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.