• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting from .mkv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
So, I did tons of searching, and i found iSquint. This is a GREAT program... with one exception. It seems to make the video choppy, kind of like it is skipping frames or is trying too hard to play too many frames. I have played with the settings of framerate and such, but to no avail.

Can someone help me out here? I have about 12 .mkv files that are music vedeos, and I want to put them on my iPod. And if it's not too hard, i would like them to show up in the "music videos" playlist.

Any suggestions?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;505311 said:
I suggest ffmpegX and here is a How-To for encoding the .mkv files for iPod.

Thank you! I had heard that ffmpegx didn't work for a lot of folks out there, so i was hesitant to try it. I wish there was a way to get it to place the vids in the music video part. Do you/anyone know what iTunes uses to designate between movies and music videos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sure, just select the video, right click it and select 'info' (or hit Command+i) and then under 'video> video kind' pick 'music video':

musicvideo-20071016-134954.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, just select the video, right click it and select 'info' (or hit Command+i) and then under 'video> video kind' pick 'music video':

So now I feel stupid!

Reaction score
I wouldn't ... I just learnt something new too ... goes with the territory ;P

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;505311 said:
I suggest ffmpegX and here is a How-To for encoding the .mkv files for iPod.

I just tried ffmpegx, and it worked flawlessly. I was very impressed at the quality of the output file. Way to go! Only thing that i wish you could do with it is batch processing. but other than that, it's a great program!

Reaction score
I just tried ffmpegx, and it worked flawlessly. I was very impressed at the quality of the output file. Way to go! Only thing that i wish you could do with it is batch processing. but other than that, it's a great program!

Glad it worked for you mshale ;P

Apparantly ffmpegX does do batch conversions .... not sure if that's only restricted to video or not ??

I believe all that's needed is the right script and maybe someone here can help out with that?

I think it's done from the Terminal and I think this is the code but I got that from a website and I couldn't really understand what had to be typed where, so be careful with it:

... for i in *.mpg; do ffmpeg –appropriate-options $i.mpg $i-new.mpg; done

at the bash prompt.

^^ maybe someone who knows this stuff can decipher the above ??

Someone said this, about ffmpegX's ability to batch process:

Yes, it will do batches, in the sense that you can have multiple Terminal windows running different processes.

Speed depends on your system.

Q. Sometimes I just want to convert 20 files, and since there are no batch mode, can ffmpegx at least give me the command that it is using so that I can script it through shell?

A. The command is copied to the clipboard, but it's wiped out by the date which is copied right after it. However, if you install something like Jumpcut:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21604/jumpcut

You'll be able to see the command in the clipboard history.

If you're looking to convert 20 files, all with the same settings, then take a look at Quick Batcher at www.emmgunn.com. Make the settings you want in ffmpegx, then drag and drop all your video files into Quick Batcher and it'll quickly enter your conversion jobs in ffmpegx's queue. It'll also let you do the same with multiple titles in a DVD.

You can also queue up a bunch of ffmpegX instructions and run them as one big command. Someone with better knowledge of Terminal commands can possibly give you some tips, but basically ffmpegX passes along a string of commands to the Terminal window.

You can paste them into a text editor, queue up multiple versions, and then paste that back into Terminal. This way you only process one thing at a time, but you give it a long list of things...

Finally, if the Terminal method is all too much for you:

here's a 3rd Party Batch Processing App.

: ~<*EDIT*>~ :

I just converted 3 vids using ffmpegX and I was able to add them to a queue ... while that's not exactly batch conversion, it's better than a poke in the eye.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;507718 said:
: ~<*EDIT*>~ :

I just converted 3 vids using ffmpegX and I was able to add them to a queue ... while that's not exactly batch conversion, it's better than a poke in the eye.

Yep, I could do that too, however with close to 30 videos, and more to come, i figured i'd try to find something to help me out!! lol So this Quick Batch program is a very simple program, and as most simple proggies do, it worked wonderfully. All I had to do was open the program, set my preferences and settings in ffmpegX and drag all of the videos from a finder window to the drop box of QB. So simple I thought it had to be too simple.

Thanks a lot for all of your help! And the person who gave the tip on setting it as a music video!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.