Disk Utility taking way too long to clone iPod

Reaction score
I tried cloning my 80GB 5G to a partition about 83GB large.

-SuperDuper & Disk Utility stalled at less than a MB copy speeds. 10 hours on SD, and nowheresvile
-TuneTech doesn't work on video iPods
-CarbonCopyCloner stalls in the same way as the first two.
What is the matter? The destination volume is formatted as MacOSExtended(Journaled).

Please help. I have to clone my iPod before a repair
Thank you

PS not running iTunes or any other app when I do this, and drives verify.

has anybody ever tried this? Aside form ripping the tunes seperately? I want to have a backup clone or image to sync to regularly

OP
W
Reaction score
Anybody ever cloned their iPod for backup?

I tried cloning my 80GB 5G about 74GB full to a partition about 83GB large.

-SuperDuper & Disk Utility stalled at less than a MB copy speeds. 10 hours on SD, and nowheresvile
What is the matter? The destination volume is formatted as MacOSExtended(Journaled).

Thank you

has anybody ever tried this? Aside from ripping the tunes seperately? I want to have a backup clone or image to sync to regularly

Reaction score
I tried cloning my 80GB 5G about 74GB full to a partition about 83GB large.

Thank you

has anybody ever tried this? Aside from ripping the tunes seperately? I want to have a backup clone or image to sync to regularly

SuperDuper seems to be fairly quick at backing up and hopefully it will work to back up an iPod too, I don't know as I haven't tried it:

Here's a list of several Backup Utils

Re: SuperDuper ... How long will it take? You may only have time for a light snack, because cloning via this method will be pretty swift. It took a little under 8 minutes to clone 1.8 GB of data under 10.3.9, which brings us down to about 4 minutes per gigabyte of data - including the permissions repair.

icon.jpg

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but as I said, I tried SD and it took >10hours and it was going dead slow and very far from over.

Superduper, Disk Utility and CarbonCopy all work great for me with my standard HD's. Cloning my iPod is the only catch with me here:(
i don't get it

Reaction score
Have you tried cloning iPod ~> Mac using FireWire? Your router would need to be 100BaseT for it to work properly

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I tried cloning my 80GB 5G to a partition about 83GB large.

Thank you

has anybody ever tried this? Aside form ripping the tunes seperately? I want to have a backup clone or image to sync to regularly

Do you store more than just the music you have in iTunes on your iPod?

I've never tried to clone my iPod only because iTunes already contains all of the music that is on my iPod. If I were to lose my iPod, or its contents were damaged, I would just sync its replacement to iTunes and be back in business.

Or am I missing something?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
wpc33, do you have a pre-fifth generation iPod? They can transfer using Firewire ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why do you need a backup if your music is in iTunes? Just send it to get repaired and re-transfer your music when you get it back.

Easy and simple.

OP
W
Reaction score
i should've mentioned that I have 500GB in iTunes, 50% AIFF, and only 80GB to roll with on the iPod. I did alot of reencoding and selective manual adding to get the iPod where it is now. I lost it last year and it took me a week to get it back. That's the problem with autosync for me.

Thanks for the replies so far, though

Spawn: I'm using a 5.5G 80GB Video with USB 2.0 dock connector.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've learned through my testing and your help, that no matter what software I use, I get download speeds of 1Mbps or less. The hardware is all good, unless the cable can somehow degrade the speed yet still work, slowly.

Something is wrong with the speed

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've learned through my testing and your help, that no matter what software I use, I get download speeds of 1Mbps or less. The hardware is all good, unless the cable can somehow degrade the speed yet still work, slowly.

Well, you are using USB 2.0 so it's not going to be very fast .... to do what you are asking may ultimately rely on Firewire 400 or even better FW 800 speeds.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;505314 said:
Well, you are using USB 2.0 so it's not going to be very fast .... to do what you are asking may ultimately rely on Firewire 400 or even better FW 800 speeds.

USB 2 is rated at 480Mb/s, which should equate to 60 MB/s (realistically it will be a little bit lower than that as I believe the 480Mb/s is a "burst speed"), but even still, it should be transferring a lot faster than what the OP is seeing. At the very least, it should be comparable to FW400.

Reaction score
That's interesting .. wonder what's clogging up the works then?

I misunderstood USB transfers to be slower than Firewire. I stand corrected!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I would check out Anapod CopyGear, it allows you to directly access the filesystem without any translation (the iPod protects the music synced by iTunes so that you only see the part of the FS setup for data). There is a fee, but it might be worth it given your situation with manual syncing.

Reaction score
Here are just some of the scenarios in which CopyGear can be invaluable:

Backing up the contents of your iPod before sending it in for repair or replacement.

Sound like it's just the ticket! It's only $20 and there's a trial download too ... don't know if it's disabled in any way though ... I think wpc33 will be pleased with this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.