Ibook G4 superdrive not detecting AHT

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a three years old ibook G4. It came with a superdrive and I've been experiencing problems on and off with it. Sometimes it will take DVD's and CDs and some other times it does not recognize them or it takes a few tries to get it to read them.

Since I have a 10.3.9 OS, I recently took it to a local shop where they tried to upgrade it to 10.4, but unfortunately the installation could not be completed as the computer apparently rejected the installation CD in every try. I was told that in order to get the ibook to accept the install CD it took a lot of tries, because it would not read it. Nevertheless, even when it took the CD in installation was unsuccessful. Since the shop is not Apple they could not help me any further.

In my search to figure out what's wrong with my laptop, I've tried installing the AHT CD, but the computer does not recognize it. I get "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read".

I've ran disk utility to repair permissions and apparently they've been fixed.. though I noticed that there were a lot of 'special permissions' notes while repairing.. Don't know if that's normal?

Anyhow, at this point I don't know if the problem is with the optical drive or something else..(I am not that techie), So I would appreciate some guidance on the subject. Perhaps I am overlooking some other ways to fix it 'myself'. Since I don't have the apple care service, I am afraid it will cost me a pretty penny to take it straight to the Apple store. So this forum is my last try to see what options I have at hand to try first myself.

Thanks a lot in advance!:)

PS: Below are the specs of my computer:

Ibook G4
Processor: 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory: 768 MB DDR SDRAM
MAC OS X 10.3.9
-----
ATA-3 Bus:

M@TRHHT@ DVD,R UJ-824:

Manufacturer: M@TRHHT@
Model: M@TRHHT@ DVD,R UJ-824
Revision: DAND
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Vendor Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
---
MEMORY:
DIMM0/BUILT-IN:

Size: 256 MB
Type: Built-in
Speed: Built-in

DIMM1/J7:

Size: 512 MB
Type: DDR SDRAM
Speed: PC2100U-25330

---

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.